Overseeding

newhomeowner-2009November 22, 2011

I have a weekend home in the Catskills, and we go up there every couple of weeks at this time of year. I'd like to overseed the lawn, but I don't go up often and I don't want to do it before the big snows come, which could happen pretty much without warning.

But here's what I don't understand: I've heard on this board (and in a post just up on overseeding) that it's best to wait until the first snow. But I don't get this. We can get a foot at a time, and it may not melt till April. Shouldn't this be done before the snows start?

I was thinking of overseeding this weekend, by the way, but don't want to do it if it's too early.

Any guidance would be appreciated by this newbie.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

You missed the window of opportunity in September for normal overseeding. At this point you are looking at dormant seeding. Have you searched that topic?

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 8:21PM
tiemco

With a dormant overseed you want to put the seed down BEFORE the first big snowstorm. It is probably OK to do it in the Catskills now, but if the weather becomes mild or you get heavy rains then the seed can germinate prematurely, and or get washed away. If it was me I would wait till there is no chance of heavy rain. When you seed before a big snow event the snow will hold the seeds in place, then they will work into the soil as the snow melts.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 9:28PM
newhomeowner-2009

Yes, I was thinking of dormant overseeding. We had a premature snowstorm about a month ago, but since then it has been mild - too mild, as a matter of fact. Tomorrow, for instance, rain is forecast and the high will be 43.

The ten day forecast shows weather in the fifties and rain. So from what you're saying, I think it may be too early for dormant overseeding.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 9:52PM
tiemco

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 10:29PM
newhomeowner-2009

Yeah, looks like I may have to rush up there if a big snow is forecast.

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 10:55PM
newhomeowner-2009

However, now that I'm up here in the Catskills, I'm finding that the nights are going down into the 30s, and there is always a frost covering the grass every morning. So I wonder if now may be the time.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Lawn care novice
I recently purchased a home in late fall and I'm new...
cdouglas10683
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™