Marsha Donahues Garden, Open Day

dodgerdudetteJuly 25, 2010

This garden is in urban Berkeley. Very cool !

She had the bowling ball thing down, there must be a hundred of them there. This is along the entry walk .Sorry about the blurry thing, its very shady so a steady hand is required. From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10 From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

This was more colorful than it looks in this photo. From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

Marsha's bottle tree was very lofty..way up high, 20 ft maybe ? From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

The studio deck.. From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

Ever wondered what to do with that old flatware ? From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

She had some really unique containers.. From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

And the pond ! From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

She had some lovely chickens , and this was the roof of her coop . From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

This is a begonia-they grow like trees in frost-free Berkeley From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

And she had bees ! From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

Hell Strip From Open Gardens East Bay 7-25-10

Kathy in Napa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Oh thank you!!! So much to take in. The hand appeals to me. :) The coop roof, the pond!

Back in 1967 I lived in Berkely. I think first it was on Robles, with a gorgeous small garden behind. Then on Roosevelt Drive. (was it Drive or Avenue? Hmmm.) There was NOTHING like Marcia's place in any direction back then. Mind you, we spent our time at the Fillmore West and near Haight & Ashbury... I did like some of the art work though. There were extraordinary pieces at times.

Here is a link that might be useful: art back then

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 10:09PM
chloehoover(z6b VA)

O, this is great, Kathy -- you got some unique photos -- and so interesting that she has time for bees and chickens along w/ her sculpting, etc. -- incredible.

I think a year ago I would have called her garden amazing color; but after the riot of color explosion at Keeylas, Marcia's bowling balls are almost restrained. Of course, we're aware of her garden "p*rn" humor too -- I love that pond!!!

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

-Cindy

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 10:19PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

How wonderful Kathy! Just love the originality in this garden. So many interesting things to look at here. I'll be coming back to peruse. I always LOVE seeing gardens of very creative people because it makes me see things a bit differently. Wish I could have been there with you! Many thanks for taking the time to photograph and share my friend!

Deanne

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 7:42AM
triple_creek(z5)

Kathy, I love seeing these gardens. I was taken with the flatware in the tire planter and the hand also. I also noticed the iron work? over the deck. The statue by the pond is fun.
Norma

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 8:08AM
denisez10(SoCal)

Last time I saw the bowling balls, they were in a pyramid! -- from a photo in a book. That begonia looks a lot like my 'Paul Hernandez,' a luxurians hybrid. Was Marcia there to answer questions? Love the cut-metal screens. So glad you went on the tour, Kathy.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 12:24PM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Thanks, Kathy. What a fun garden. Love the chicken coop, hell strip, and screen above the deck. Oh, and that lovely bather by the pond-funny!

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™