Grass seed in November?

rouge21_gw(5)November 30, 2011

On Monday I could see from the forecast that we were to get lots of rain on my zone 5 lawn. So I decided to spread my remaining topsoil mixed with my remaining bag of grass seed. I know it is too cold to germinate this fall (now almost December). Can these seeds remain viable until next spring and the warmer weather?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

Yes as long as the seed doesn't germinate now, or rot. Both are highly unlikely this time of year in zone 5. Soil temperatures aren't likely to rise appreciably even with some mild days. The only thing I would worry about is washout with heavy rain on sloped areas, and redistribution of seeds in areas of heavy puddling. Traditionally, dormant seeding is done when the ground is almost frozen or frozen and a snow event is predicted. This will ensure that washout won't occur, and of course premature germination is impossible at those soil temps.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 4:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rouge21_gw(5)

Thank you tiemco for the information. It was my mistake that I didnt first do a search on "dormant seeding". After lots of rain the past couple of days we got our first snow right after. Even if the seeds dont germinate next spring the very good top dressing soil will help with the existing lawn.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™