Uneven Tall fescue

tonyastroNovember 11, 2013

Hi,

I planted some Marathon tall fescue and I'm getting uneven heights of grass. It's been 2 months since I planted the seeds and I want to mow it but some blades of grass are 11 inches some are less than 1 inch. I'm afraid I might kill the smaller ones. Does anyone know why this is and what can I do about it? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beckyinrichmond

Cut your grass at the highest setting for your mower. You're not supposed to cut more than 1/3 of the height of the grass at a time but I doubt your mower has a setting for 8 inches high. So do it as high as you can and then in a few days cut it again to the length you'll be maintaining. I don't know why some grass hasn't grown. Maybe it was later in germinating and then had higher grass all around it shading it. You should have been mowing as soon as the grass was one inch over your target height. I have new neighbors across the street who planted grass (overseeding) and they have been watering every day but they haven't cut it and it's all floppy. I don't want to offer them unsolicited advice, so I haven't said anything to them about it. But I have been wondering why on earth they're not cutting the grass.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 7:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tonyastro

Thanks beckybeck! I'll cut it. Maybe the tall grass it blocking either sun or water from the sprinklers from hitting the low grass.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Fescue Recommendation
Hello, we are about to see our yard and need a recommendation...
bsstokes
where do I even start with this hot mess of a yard?
Hi! New to the forums, been a lurker for years! We...
chelseahasrouni
What's wrong with my lawn, what do I do in Spring?
I live in Eastern Washington and believe I have Kentucky...
jebuzzz
Logans Soil Test, South West NJ Lawn - 2015
Hey! The results came in and upon initial inspection...
stephensilva1
Need help with grass type for southern CA
My lawn went bad last summer...bare spots, brown, etc....
mschug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™