Quote Sunday, 10-23

lilosophieOctober 23, 2011

There may be times when we re powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.

Elie Wiesel

So often we think we have got to make a difference and be a big dog. Let us just try to be little fleas biting. enough fleas biting strategically can make a big dog very uncomfortable.

Marian Wright Edelman

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

Oh,I like the Elie Wiesel Quote.But , I'll go a step further and ask why I have not seen any "voter" registration booths at the current "occupy wallstreet" movements.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 1:09AM
mawheel

The sermon at church this morning had an illustration about little things eventually having a big impact: Cory Tenboom was in one of the infamous Nazi prison camps. Her unit was overrun with fleas, which added an extra burden to what they were already suffering.

She survived, and many years later, while conducting a prayer service, was approached by a man whom she reconized as one of the former prison guards. After she managed to let her faith prevail, they began to talk. She asked him why her unit was spared a trip to the gas chambers, when so many others weren't. He told her that none of the guards wanted to get near them because of the flea infestation.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 10:41AM
oscarthecat(z7MD)

Good things for a Sunday morning. Thanks everyone. Steve in Stevens County.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 11:56AM
anneliese_32(6)

So often the little things make the big differences, they get the snowball rolling.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 11:56AM
west_gardener

There is such a thing as a "passive" protest. I may have mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again, since "little things" can mean a lot.
I grew up in Norway during WW11, during the German Occupation. Two of my aunts were master knitters and the Nazis ordered them to knit socks and gloves for the German Soldiers. They were forbidden to use any wool for personal use.
I remember them sitting around the kitchen table planning how to knit for the Nazis. They knitted short socks inside normal looking socks, so when a German "soldier" would put on the socks they would be way to short. They did the same thing with the gloves. When the Nazis confronted my aunties about their knitting, my aunties explained that they were knitting for "double warmth"..The Nazis gave up on them and my aunties spent the rest of the war gathering yarn wherever they could and knitted for personal use and the Norwegian soldiers.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 8:18PM
mawheel

My apologies for having misspelled and misstated the name of Cornelia "Corrie" ten Boom. Her life and accomplishments deserved better. :>(

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 4 - 15
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™