Unkept lawn for 4 years Destroyed by moles.

Dude6710November 16, 2013

I have an almost flat corner lot on 3.5 acres, no/little trees.

We moved in two weeks ago and I cut the whole yard. What a task I tell you...

Waist height grass for the most part besides half of the front yard and 100ft around the back and sides.

So I mowed it all with the deck all the way up on my JD 200 series tractor and I'm scalping the grass all over the place because it was over ran by moles. All moles are off the property now.

Not to mention its a very very bumpy ride, got bruises on both of my legs from smashing into the dash.

I would like to try to smoothen this out myself. I know its a very big task but something has to be done.

I might go buy a rear walk behind tiller and a landscape rake and try to smoothen it out throughout the year.

Ill till down 3-4 inches and level it from there and I'm well aware about dormant weed seeds I may bring up but if this will make my lawn flatter I'm all for it as long as it grows greenish.

Thoughts about this? Ideas?

I don't really want to pay someone to do this because 50% of the yard needs help not the whole thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The tool you need is called a box blade. Landscapers who know what they're doing all use a box blade. In fact it is also called a landscaper's blade. Here is a picture of one in action...

Someone with experience can cover 5 acres in a morning if there are no sprinklers, trees, or paving in the way. When this is finished, it is ready for planting and then rolling.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 12:20AM
Dude6710

Bumping this back.

It's going to be unfrozen soon so I'm trying to figure out my best option without re seeding the lawn. I have no way to water new seed.

So I've been reading a lot and have a few options.

I was thinking about making a drag out of a chain link fence door and add weight so it will cut the high spots. The neighbor said that's what they did.

Or

Rent a 1 ton roller and ride that around for the day and then aerate after.

I don't care about a luscious lawn. I just want it to be less bumpy so I don't destroy my deck.

Any ideas are welcome. I'm not expecting a perfectly flat lawn but anything would help at this point.

I just don't want to use a box blade and have to re plant my whole lawn.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:44PM
Dude6710

Here's a video that would make this all much simpler

http://youtu.be/NRlIeTBBERk

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:41PM
Dude6710

Well I made something. Hope to try it out in a few weeks.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 10:23PM
Dude6710

Made massive improvements in the last year and can't wait till spring to get back at it.

I've removed 26 gophers and 1 mole, with cinch traps. Sent in a soil test to the UofM to find out it just needs nitrogen.

Ive removed most of the huge bumps with the awesome idea I had above this post. It's still not even close to being smooth, lots of bumps but it's slowly getting better.

The top picture is before and the bottom is about 4 months ago.

Bookmark   January 30, 2015 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™