Orange looking patches

SkumarNovember 14, 2011

Hello everyone,

My grass(whats left of it) started turning this orange/brown color about a month ago. I was watering the grass every morning for about 10 minutes, but then I decreased the watering the every other day for 7 minutes. I dont know what kind of grass I have. When I look at it closely, front part of the grass does not even look like grass (just bunch of little weeds). My question is can this be salvaged and would it be possible for me have a lush green grass without sodding it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

If you take a paper towel and rub it on the grass, does it turn orange? If not, it looks like your grass is dying in that area, possibly due to a fungal disease. Your watering schedule is incorrect by the way. Watering everyday, or every other day encourages shallow rooting, and can lead to fungal issues and increased weed pressure. It's better to water deeply and infrequently. I agree that you have a lot of weeds in the front portion of your lawn. Where exactly do you live in CA?

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 3:26PM
Skumar

I wiped with the paper towel and it did not get any color on it. Thanks for the watering advise. I live in northern CA, Stockton to be specific. Is there a cure for this?

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 1:17PM
tiemco

If it is a fungal issue, then it's hard to say. Sometimes the grass will come back if the crowns are ok, and sometimes it kills the grass depending on the fungus. It might not be a fungal issue as well, could be another reason. Unfortunately with the falling temperatures you won't see a lot of regrowth, if any, until next spring. At that point you will have to assess what you have, and what you should do about it.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™