Centipede Sod in Zone 8B

brownthumb65(8B Florida)November 15, 2009

Hi!

I was wondering if it is ok for me to lay down some centipede sod in Tallahassee,Florida?

I see everyone is selling it, but I am not sure if special care needs to be taken since it is getting close to winter.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Billl(z7 nc)

You can probably sod all year round there since it is not going to have any extended freezes. Why centipede though?

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 10:15AM
texas-weed(7A)

You can lay sod anytime of the year as long as the ground is not frozen or mud.

As for special care for Centiweed grass, they don't call it LAZY MAN gras for nothing. Only requirement is your soil is soil acidic nothing else will grow in it, and drag an empty bag of fertilizer around in spring.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 12:44PM
brownthumb65(8B Florida)

Centiweed? HELP!!! We just moved up here from South Florida and all I see is centipede all over the place! I just assumed that is the way to go in this area. What is wrong with centipede? What else can I use? ST. Augustine I thought was hard to take care of...
Thanks!

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 8:30AM
texas-weed(7A)

If centipede is a popular choice would indicate your soil PH is very acidic. I wouldn't go as far to say there is anything wrong with centipede. I would say it is more of a niche application. It is not a particularly attractive grass, but it does have the lowest input requirements of all the grasses out there hence why they call it the LAZY MANS GRASS as all it needs is mowed once every 7 to 10 days and fertilized once a year in the spring. It performs best in very acidic low fertility sandy soil where not much else would grow.

If you go with it:

1. DO NOT over fertilize, drag an empty bag around once in early spring. :>) OK one fertilizer application per year applying 1 pound of nitrogen per 1000/ft2 with little to no phosphorous early in the spring, but no more.

2. DO NOT mow low. Doing so will cause it to thin out and possible die. 1-3/4 to 2-1/2 inches is about right mowed about every 7 to 10 days.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 11:38AM
brownthumb65(8B Florida)

Thanks for the tips Texas-Weed!
You're right, we are basically a sandy soil around here. I am on the edge of a large field and the centipede sounds perfect. We just need to cover up the sandy area around our entrance to the house.
Thanks again.

Bookmark   November 17, 2009 at 9:46PM
texas-weed(7A)

Before I would dive into it I think it would be wise to test your soil PH first as a sanity check. It it is 6 or less you should be OK. 5.0 to 5.5 is perfect.

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 3:24PM
brownthumb65(8B Florida)

Will do! Thanks!
:-)

Bookmark   November 19, 2009 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™