fencing for a container pond ?

kitteh(6 ohio)March 4, 2013

Do you need (required by law that is) to fence a 25 gallon container pond if it's in the front yard garden in the town ? You know, in case negligent parents let a baby wander away and it might fall in yet you would get blamed .....

And if yes can it be just a small 'edging' fence?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucille(Houston)

Kitteh,

Each jurisdiction has their own rules, so you would need to check for your own city.
I just did the same search and found my 22 inch deep preformed pond I will put in the front yard soon is not deep enough to be considered a swimming pool (your local statutes will have definitions).
However, my front yard will be enclosed by a 4 foot picket fence which actually conforms to part of the regulations (I started the fence prior to deciding to have a pond).
Many 'swimming pool' statutes require a 4 foot fence with no gaps more than 4 inches, it seems unlikely that your little pond will trigger the statute but if it does, you have to comply with whatever ordinances your local jurisdiction has passed.
Also, simply because there are no pertinent statutes does not assure that you have no liability depending on the situation, especially when children are involved and the pond might be judged an 'attractive nuisance'..

Here is a link that might be useful: Attractive Nuisance

This post was edited by lucille on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 14:53

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™