Strange plant

xjennx08(6a)June 2, 2014

Hello all. I moved into a new house about 8 months ago and have lots of plants growing that I'm not sure what they are. I'm new to gardening. I was able to identify most plants with an A-to-Z garden encyclopedia w/pictures, but the plant in this picture is an oddity. Anyone have any idea what it is? Thick stems, spiky leaves, about 2-3 ft tall, spreads like crazy. I pried one of the blooms open, and its waxy and orange on the inside. Please help!
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisonoz_gw

Would appear to be a lilium

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 6:06PM
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska(5)

Asiatic Lily. Those blooms will open to beautiful bright flowers. You'll think you're in Hawaii for a little while. They are from bulbs. They grow fast in the spring, grow high and can be a bit lanky. Some people plant a shorter plant around the base. Blooms last for a couple weeks and they're done. They really put on a show, though. They do multiply fairly quickly. You'll need to dig some up every few years and plant somewhere else, give away or swap! You'll make lots of friends. It's like offering people ice cream. Everybody's your friend when you have these to give away or swap!
Heidi in Nebraska

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 7:00PM
xjennx08(6a)

Thank you both so much! I looked up some pictures of asiatic lily and they are GORGEOUS! I can't wait for them to bloom!

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Name of festuca please
I'm looking for a green festuca that would grow in...
plquality
Mystery desert plant wtih bright orange seeds
Hi there! This plant was found while hiking near Tucson,...
kellibee1111
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™