Erosion on New Lawn

d-boneDecember 17, 2012

I live in SE Wisconsin, near Milwaukee. Late this fall, I seeded my lawn with Elite Kentucky Blue Grass cultivators. I had hoped to do it sooner, but it took longer than I would have liked for the yard to be ready to seed. I planted in the middle of September or so. By the middle of October, I had ok germination (very thin, but most of the yard). It never really grew at all after germination. I believe it was establishing the root system.

The question that I have is that because of the smaller hills in my yard, and the fact that KBG takes a while to sprout, and now after it has sprouted, since the lawn is still so very thin, I have several erosion tracks. Some are worse than others.
What should I do about it now?? Rake across them (perpendicular to the tracks) to remove them? I do not want to tear up the little bit of grass I have, so am reluctant to do this... Unless this is the best option. Wait for the winter freeze, and address it in the spring?? If so, what to do then??

Thank you for your help, it is MUCH appreciated!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
d-bone

More pics...

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 11:57AM
d-bone

More pics...

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 11:58AM
d-bone

More pics...

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 11:59AM
d-bone

More pics...

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 12:01PM
d-bone

Last picture... Again, thank you for your help!!!

Bookmark   December 17, 2012 at 12:02PM
krnuttle

Sometimes the best way to control erosion is to provide alternate ways for the water to move from the high land to the ditches. Some times this means sacrificing parts of the lawn.

I planted new grass on the slope in front of our house. To control erosion, I sacrificed part of the yard to provide a shallow trench a long the top of the slope so the water would run down the slope into the trench and away from the newly seeded area. Next year when those seeded areas are established and can stand the water I will fix the shallow trench.

Using this method will be unique to the area where the erosion is occurring. It may be a shallow trench right through the middle of the yard, or a trench that takes advantage of the slope of the yard to move the water to somewhere else.

There is not much more you can do, since the yard needs the water, and you can not collect it so it does not get on the yard.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™