is this a weed?

bmanDecember 7, 2012

I replanted my back yard with Black Jack Burmuda seed well over 6 months ago and I am starting to see this pop up in the grass in a lot of places. Before I replanted the grass I used Annual Ryegrass for one season and then killed it. I don't think this is ryegrass but looks more like a weed to me. I used Weed b gone and it did nothing....

Can you help me identify this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andy10917(NY 6a)

It looks like Quackgrass to me, but it could be any one of fifty grasses that we lump into "barnyard grasses". They will not respond to WBG or any other broadleaf weed killers, because they are not broadleaf weeds -- they are grassy weeds. Some require specialty killers, or you can just hand-pull them, or spot-treat with RoundUp (which will kill what it touches).

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 9:04AM
bman

Thanks...Since my backyard lawn is quite large this will be quite a chore to hand pull them all. Very frustrating after all the work I put into the yard initially....

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 1:18PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Are you following the Bermuda Bible? Google it if you are not. Your lawn does not look like it is getting proper care. Mowing height looks to be about 2 inches too high and it does not look like it is getting high monthly doses of high nitrogen fertilizer. When you don't take proper care of bermuda, it can become weedy fast.

There is another product called Grass-B-Gone that might work on those weeds. You have to know which type of weed you have to get the right product. Grassy weeds like yours need GBG.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:15PM
andy10917(NY 6a)

David, I don't see the advantage of Grass-B-Gone over RoundUp. Both are going to kill most all desirable grasses they touch -- including Bermuda. To the best of my knowledge, GBG is for ornamental beds and not meant for lawns. Am I mistaken?

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 7:20PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Using grass-b-gone in turfgrass is not the typical usage. Grass-b-gone is likely going to be less effective than RoundUp. What my point was was that RoundUp will definitely take out anything it hits while GBG might leave the bermuda. In any case, bermuda will fill back in from the side after you kill that weed.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 8:47PM
Mitter

Yes

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Convert lawn full of old dog feces to normal lawn
Hello, I would love some advice on trying to get a...
jillian242424
Overseeding KBG with a Different Type of Seed?
We live in the High Desert area of southern California....
kendog2
how to take care my new sod lawn?
I moved into my new house in north Texas this Feb....
leooel14
I want the best yard in the neighborhood
Hello, my name is Wes and I'm pretty much a first time...
wesottinger
Need help with lawn renovation in Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
Sponsored Products
Stainless Steel Weeding Knife
$9.99 | zulily
Frame It All Crayola Hexagonal Sandbox Kit with Optional Cover - 7 ft. x 8 ft. x
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Trains & Trucks Personalized Growth Chart Decal
$21.99 | zulily
Grass Gator Weed I Replacement Blades - 3 Pack - 1223-0926
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Garden Goddess Watercolor Garden Fork - 18162
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Good Ideas Garden Wizard Elevated Garden with Cover - GW-EGC-GRN
$319.99 | Hayneedle
Green Ribbon Garden Basket
$19.99 | zulily
Deluxe Stalwart Garden Scissors