Loosing water between rocks. How do I stop this?

aggieroseMarch 21, 2013

I realized the little bit of extra water I am loosing is from the water seeping between the rocks and soaking into the surrounding dirt. Of course the water loss stops eventually, but I can't keep the pond as full as I want it because of this. I'd like for the edges of all the rocks to be in the water. What is the solution? This is my first pond and I'm still learning a lot. Here is my pond. I still need to figure out what plants to put around it, but I want to get this problem solved before I plant anything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cherokee_joeshoeboot

Do you have any extra liner under the rocks?? If not I think you will have to make a change to your pond. If you want the rocks to be in the water the liner needs to extend beyond the rocks and above the water line you desire. What I (and many others) have done too accomplish this is to extent the liner beyond the rocks and above the water line and then use a mix of additional rocks, including smaller rocks and gravel to cover the liner edges.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 6:20PM
cherokee_joeshoeboot

Forgot to add an additional thing you could try. You could use mortar between the rocks and make sure the mortar extends well beyond the water line. If you were to do this make sure the mortar is completely set up before letting the water level extent to it's level. You could also try rock foam, which is probably the cheapest way to go. I've heard that it is not completely water proof but will do the job in a case like your's.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 6:25PM
aggierose

The liner does extend past the rocks, but there is dirt on top of the liner and in between the rocks. Do I need to remove that dirt and put gravel there instead?

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 7:38PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

The dirt is probably acting as a wick, so yes it should be removed. Make sure the liner at that point is not slipping down or folded. Packing soil behind the liner to support it is a good idea. Small stones to steady the larger rock is a good idea or you can use Great Stuff to hold the rocks together once you know the leak has stopped.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 3:27AM
joe_09(z7 ny)

you should have liner covering the entire waterfall,front to back,side to side.with the sides of the liner cupped up.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 2:01PM
joe_09(z7 ny)

also i like to add, you dont need dirt between the rocks, it will just leach into the pond.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™