KBG for new lawn, zone 5

gardeningmomof5December 8, 2012

I am in zone 5, central between Cleveland and Youngstown. Our current lawn is a Heinz 57 mix of grasses depending on where you are standing with a lot of weeks and unevenness. Our plans are to rent a sod cutter in the spring, remove the old lawn, and fill in the low spots. Mostly sun for the front lawn that is being replaced. I like the look of KGB but have read its best to incorporate other seed is as well. However, I came across this while seed shopping and would like to use it solely. Does this sound to good to be true?

Here is a link that might be useful: World Cup KBG seed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andy10917(NY 6a)

Several points:

(1) Spring is a bad time to do a renovation. Lots of weed pressure and the summer heat comes too fast for good establishment. The best time for a renovation is very late summer just as the evenings cool the slightest bit - around Aug 15th.

(2) There is nothing wrong with an all-KBG lawn, but KBG is a little more demanding on fertilizer and water. It looks extremely uniform though.

(3) You are best off with a sod-quality seed source -- the weed numbers are much lower. Big-box store sources are the worst sources for seed.

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 5:35PM
grass1950

Andy gives good advice. as an alternative source, there are many sod farms in N.E. Ohio some of which sell sod quality seed and fertilizer etc. Call around and pay a visit and see what the turf from the seed will look like. Plus there is always the option of sodding the lawn in Spring.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 1:32AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Yes, sod would be preferred to seed in the spring. Sod roots are already established so they should get through the summer heat. There is the watering issue, though. The watering regimen for sod is roughly the same as for seed. When you water that much you are also watering the crabgrass seed. There's really nothing you can do about the watering but you can allow the grass to grow up taller than you might normally let it go. The extra shade will help a lot to slow or stop the crabgrass. The other thing about sod is you can put it out before the crabgrass would be sprouting and get some of that water down before the crabgrass is ready.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:10PM
grass1950

Where have you been dchall? Don't see you posting regularly much anymore. Hope all's well.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:49PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

All is well. I have a new boss. The old one let our office get behind on our written plans, so we're working extra long hours to catch up. I've also had computer and Android issues to deal with. These, too, shall pass.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™