Newbie with a new Pond. Pl Help.
I am new here and new to a garden and pond. Pardon me if I ask some stupid questions.
I recently bought a new house and inherited a "natural" pond with it. It has water lilies and a variety of fish. The water is not so clear so I don;t know exactly how many but as per my estimate
15-20 5 Inch deep red-pink fishes.
10-12 9 inch red with black spot fishes.
4-5 15 inch orange fishes.
A few things happened in the last 2/3 months while the house was being renovated (inside only)
1. Two of the largest fishes died.
2. The water level in the pond went down 8-10 inches as someone left the waterfall running for the whole night.
3. I threw some fish food in the pond today but the fishes did not eat.
4. The smaller fishes float on the surface and some of them gather on one side of the pond.
5. The water looks very brown and dirty.
I have the following questions.
Q1. what could have gone wrong that the two large fishes died. Is it normal.
Q2. Can I top up the water level with regular tap water?
Q3. Shall I wait before the fish start eating food. Could it be because of change of fish food?
Q4. Can I do something to get the water become clearer. I saw some "Organic" Bio water cleaners.
The pond is irregular in shape but I guess it could be about 20 feet by 20 feet and 5 feet deep.
Many thanks for your replies in advance.