Planning my 2013 lawn care calendar
Hi everyone. We moved into a new home this past summer. The lawn was seeded for the first time in June. It's hanging in there but the lawn is going to need a lot of work in 2013. I'm trying to plan ahead and would like advice on when to do what. I need to:
1) Put down crabgrass preventer. Because the lawn was hydroseeded in the middle of summer, we had a massive crabgrass problem. Most of it has died now in the winter and there are a lot of open patches.
2) Put down grub control / Grubex. Patches of lawn are dying/have died and the builder took a look in September and said we have grubs.
3) Reseed. The lawn inst thick enough and you can still see maybe 30% turf. There are also a lot of open patches from the crabgrass thats died and the patches that were destroyed by grubs.
4) Fertilize. I was thinking about applying Scotts Turfbuilder with 2% iron earlier in the year.
5) Fertilize again with Summerguard sometime in mid-summer.
6) Compost. The soil is very hard and there are tons of small stones/building rubble that they just seeded over. I need to get some topsoil going.
Please can you guys help out and let me know A) in what order should I be pursuing these steps and B) what the best months to do each step are.
1) I dont know the type/species of grass. The builder just said it was a "hydroseeded sun and shade mix"
2) I live in Massachusetts, Zone 6B.
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it.
This post was edited by GrowSomeGrass on Thu, Dec 13, 12 at 16:28