Will it do any good to overseed in December??

autom8r(5)December 10, 2011

My yard is 95% shaded in the summer and Middle Tennessee (Zone 5) is subject to hot dry summers. I have tried several different seed types and have found HoundDog tall fescue about the best for my 1+ acre lawn.

I fertilized, aerated, seeded, then thourougly re-aerated on Sept. 18 and had a lovely stand of thick young grass within 2 weeks. As the TONS of leaves fell weekly I vacuumed them weekly with an engine driven Brinly LVS-33 Poly-Vac System pulled behind a lawn tractor. The wheels and weight of this equipment did significant damage to my tender young lawn.

I would like to overseed this as early as possible so the new grass will be able to take as much advantage as possible of the sunlight allowed in thru the many leaf barren trees to get a head start on the summer heat and drought before the leaves re-grow.

How early can I reliably overseed to repair the equipment damage? Will it do any good to re-seed before a predicted rare snowfall?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

I'm confused about the nature of the damage. Can you walk us through all the steps you did in preparation for the renovation? Something is missing. Start with how you cared for the lawn before you decided to renovate.

Yes, reseed now and look up the term, 'dormant seeding.'

Bookmark   December 10, 2011 at 9:20PM
autom8r(5)

The damage was done by the weight on the wheels of my lawn vacuuming equipment making multiple passes over the tender new grass.

Dave

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 4:00PM
Billl(z7 nc)

A little late but...

I meant to overseed in early November. Life intervened. Oh well. I tossed out some seed the week after thanksgiving along with some fertilizer. I didn't water.

Well, I've got short grass almost everywhere. I guess you can do everything "wrong" and still turn out alright.

*** Raleigh NC experience only. Obviously you are going to get any germination under a couple feet of snow.

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 5:30PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The damage was done by the weight on the wheels of my lawn vacuuming equipment making multiple passes over the tender new grass.

Sure it was, but the equipment would not do any damage if the lawn had been properly prepared. That's why I asked for your preparation process. If you continue doing it the way you have already done it, you'll have the same problem every time.

Bookmark   January 3, 2012 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
Grass & pine straw in winter
Part of my yard St Augustine grass, much of which is...
tao55
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™