What is it that I need?

catherinet(5 IN)March 21, 2012

I have a 300 gallon in ground stocktank. I have a small waterfall that is made up of about 5 flat rocks on top of each other. I'm tired of the water coming out of just one little tube for the waterfall. Is there something I can buy that would spread out the water flow more? I was thinking I could make one by putting a Y-connector on the end of the tube and then fasten 2 short pieces of tubing to that.

What I'd really like is something that would fit in the present tube (that brings water over the rocks) and be flat......maybe 4-5" wide, so the water would fall over the rocks in a wider stream.

Any suggestions?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You could use a kitty litter box as a pool at the top. Place the tube in the kitty litter box and let it overfow out the low side (where the kitties walk in and out) onto your rock waterfall. Just make sure you angle everything just right as not to loose any water.

Small overflowing pools above waterfalls do wonders making the water spread out more naturally rather than the tube/hose pumped straight to the falls.

Here is a link that might be useful: A kitty litter box like this one

    Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 5:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

Hi Catherinet, Do you have any flexible tubing? A "T" connector with short extensions of flexible tubing could allow you to direct the water where you want. A way to spread the water with rigid pipe would be to drill a line of holes in lengths of the pipe, cap the open ends and attach them to the "T" connector. You would have to clean them out occasionally but that is a minor problem. I often have scraps and odds and ends around so either would cost me nothing.

I have some semi-flexible irrigation tubing I could adapt that would be perfect for small pipes. It can be bent to shape with a heat gun. It can curve to fit or be hidden and holes could be cut where I wanted a drip or flow. I could even use the drip or spray attachments for drama. The effect is controlled by the force of the water, of course

A third way would be to make a dam with cuts where you want the water to spill. The most forgiving material would be Great Stuff foam, the most permanent, mortar. Placing rocks in the path of the spill can direct the flow dramatically. You can change it at a whim. If the flow is strong enough it can even be air borne. Nature does it all the time.

There are probably a lot of other methods that are cheap or free. Look around and see what you have on hand.

    Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 6:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This is how we created a wide flow of water. It worked great and was easy to create. You can drill as many or few holes as you want.

I have also thought of maybe a plastic funnel squashed flat, but I don't know that the water would fan out naturally.

Good luck. Let us know how you solved this.

    Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks everyone! Lots of good suggestions! I'll let you know what I eventually do.
Thanks again!

    Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 8:01AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Floating plants for my hot TX pond (other than lilies)
Any suggesting for good floaters or submerged plants...
Dividing lotus this weekend
I have a Carolina Queen lotus that has to be divided...
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
Frogs found dead in my pond
It's been a while, and I can't find anything on here...
hardy plants for cool spring weather
Which floating oxygenator type plants live in 50 degree...
Sponsored Products
Trumpeted Square Antique Gold 86-inch to 120-inch Curtain Rod
$64.95 | Bellacor
15815AZT Bronze Kichler LED Side Mount Landscape Path Light
Westbury Black Faux Suede Shade Brass Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Moma Picture Light by Marset
$629.00 | Lumens
Small Solid Brass Rim Latch Set
Signature Hardware
Spring Air Back Supporter Plush Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - C
$752.99 | Hayneedle
Arbor California King 10-piece Comforter Set
Illumine Lamps 23 in. Polished Steel Table Lamp CLI-LS443216
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™