Some animal made a mess on the grass

chanbr(9CA)December 14, 2012

My lawn was terrorized by some kind of an animal over night. Three to four big holes were dug. Not deep holes but big. Looks like BIG foot had visited my lawn. I live in the city, no where near the mountains. Can someone tell me why animals like to do that?

My lawn is new from grass seed. I was going to show some photos here, but I don't know how. Paste does not work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Where are you in California? It's a big place.

You can upload one image per post using the "Image file to upload (optional)" feature. Then you can browse for your photo and upload it. Pictures would be helpful.

Or you can use HTML code to post as many pictures as you want in your post. I believe GardenWeb has plenty of references for posting pictures if you search. You can ever search this forum for the following text "img src" and you'll find some messages.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 6:20PM
chanbr(9CA)

I live in Temple City, south of Pasadena. Uploaded one photo.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 6:43PM

I'm going to suggest it was a squirrel digging up a buried acorn or other tree seed. Do you or the neighbors have any oak trees (Californa live oak is what I'm thinking). The other possibility would be a skunk or possum digging for grubs. I would think all the skunks are gone from Temple City, but there might be possums. Somehow they manage to evade eradication.

My first wife was from El Monte, so not that far away.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 8:24PM
chanbr(9CA)

So how do I fix these holes? Do I fill them with garden soil now and then when it's warm again, I will reseed the spots? Thanks.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 1:05PM

Refill with the soil that is there first and foremost. If the soil was too scattered to refill the entire hole, then use garden soil or sand. It should mound up slightly to allow the soil to settle in the next few years.

If you have bermuda or Kentucky bluegrass, the grass will cover over by itself. If you have fescue (like the Marathon varieties), then you will need to reseed. I would reseed now and not wait until it gets warm. In your area it might be wet and warm enough for the seed to sprout by itself in January.

Bookmark   December 16, 2012 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
I want to remove deep roots . . . once and for all!
Hello, I've tried shoveling out some deep roots, but...
figsinhawaii
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™