Marathon Lawn Yellowing

tomat0(10a)December 5, 2011

Time to ask the lawn experts for advice!

I can't rehabilitate my Marathon lawn for some reason. Would anyone have any suggestions? :)

Here are the details:

Fertilization: Topper layer when installed. Fertilized several times with Marathon brand food and once with Nitra King a month ago.

Watering: 15 min @ MWF when warm, now 15 min @ MTh.

Mowing: Once a week @ ~3".

I admit, I did not maintain a steady fertilizing schedule and my mowing habits were not weekly the past few months.

The lawn has slowed in growth in the past 6? months or so. There has been nothing else applied or done to it.

Side note: I've been considering going organic with a pure compost/plant meal regime. I do organic garden in my backyard and my soil has a fair amount of clay, but is quite healthy as my fruit trees are growing substantially. Gotta respect Mother Nature!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomat0(10a)

Sorry, I forgot the pictures! :D

Bookmark   December 5, 2011 at 7:01PM
tiemco

Where are you located (I'm guessing California)? From your pic it looks like you have a bit of disease. Your watering schedule isn't ideal. You should be watering less often, for longer periods of time. I would also suggest getting a comprehensive soil test to determine if you have any deficiencies. (Logan Labs basic soil test, $20). Tall fescue loses color and gets some yellowing as temperatures fall, but if you live in SoCal you shouldn't see too much cold weather dormancy affects.

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 7:40PM
tomat0(10a)

Yes, I am in Southern California! :)
I'll adjust my watering to less frequent but longer periods. Time to get those tuna cans out!

Some of the grass blades look healthy while some are complete opposites, as you can see in the closeup photo. Could you give any additional suggestions based on that?

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 4:21AM
tiemco

I wouldn't worry too much about it since it's pretty diffuse and most of the stand looks pretty good. I would get the soil test I suggested and if anything is out of whack then work on correcting those deficiencies.

Bookmark   December 9, 2011 at 12:39PM
tomat0(10a)

Just an update. I fed it plenty and watered with sweat. Looking good but some spots need reseeding/water. Perfect season for that!
Thanks for the updates. I'll post a pic when I can. :)

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™