violets

adidas(6/7)June 6, 2014

Could you tell me the species please? Also, there's a smaller violet behind the big one...I know that's rue to the left but directly behind the big violet there's a much smaller one....anyone know the species name?

Thank-you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaynine

Viola pedatifida...just a guess.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 9:02PM
adidas(6/7)

I think you're right for the small one in the back ...but I think here (eastern US) the species is V. pedata?....that's what the distribution map shows. They look similar.

Thank-you!

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 9:19PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

They may all be Viola palmata which has leaves that vary depending on the time of year they are produced.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:57PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

BTW there is no Rue (Ruta graveolens) in your picture. There is some foliage which could be either Thalictrum (Meadow Rue) or Aquilegia (Columbine).

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 6:55AM
adidas(6/7)

Lycopus: So the deeply lobed one at the back and these big ones in front are the same species? Thanks for the info! I did not know that!

Flora: Thank-you. I was careless w/my common names. This place has Thalictrum dioicum, Thalictrum pubescens and columbine...but in the pic it's one of the Thalictrum sp. There is no Ruta here (I hope!)

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 7:14AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

OK - you clearly know what you have there. I just thought maybe someone had told you a misunderstood common name and you might be expecting something different.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #4
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Identifying hedge plant, and why its going brown?
I have many of these evergreen hedges around my garden...
Vivre
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™