Mixing tall fescue seed with Marathon 1 sod

pman6(9)December 8, 2012

I saw Vigoro brand tall fescue seed at home depot.
It's cheaper by weight than genuine Marathon seed.
I have patchy dead areas in my Marathon 1 lawn.

Will this tall fescue seed blend well with marathon 1 in terms of COLOR?

Marathon 1 is relatively dark green.

I just don't want new fescue to differ too much in color and stand out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

Most tall fescues are pretty similar in color, but I would probably warn against using Vigoro when trying to repair Marathon 1. First of all Vigoro is a real hodge podge of cultivars, none of which do all that well in the NTEP trials. Another thing to think about is growth rate. If I'm not mistaken, most of the Marathons are dwarf types that don't grow all that fast and do better in the heat of California. Vigoro's blend will probably grow faster and not be as heat tolerant as Marathon 1.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 12:58AM
andy10917(NY 6a)

+1 Tiemco. I have written two postings in the past two days for folks that wound up with difficult-to-treat weeds after using big-box seed mixes. It's penny-wise and pound-foolish to save a couple of dollars on seed and then wind up having to purchase specialty herbicides to kill the weeds (the herbicides cost $50-$130). Purchasing really good (sod-quality) seed lowers the follow-up work that can go on for 2-3 years. It's similar to purchasing knock-off parts to repair your car - it may work or it may backfire and cause other problems. Also consider that disease-resistance is much better in the newer cultivars, which avoids the do-it-again-and-again cycle of repairing the lawn.

This post was edited by andy10917 on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 9:56

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 9:53AM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Agree and agree. And if you a mix dwarf type grass with anything else, you will forever regret it. I would not even mix Marathon I with Marathon II, and certainly not Marathon III. The mixed in grass will look like a weed no matter how the color compares.

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Revitalizing and leveling sad lawn
I have a lawn in Northern California that is pretty...
jhalt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™