String Algae/Pump Filter

lola6964(5)March 29, 2014

Hi,
I'm in Zone 5 and have 2 half-barrel ponds, with three small goldfish in each. I've kept the filter running, as well as a bubble stone in each barrel over the winter. I also put small stock tank heaters in each to keep the water from freezing, which kept the water temp at about 40 degrees all winter. I fed the fish 1-2 times per week, which I now see I shouldn't have done.

I have a Tetra Whisper filter and am wondering if I should change the filter cartridge? I've rinsed the cartridge with pond water several times to clean it, but it is looking really grungy. But I don't want to remove the good bacteria in the existing cartridge if that's going to be an issue.

Also, what to do about the massive amount of string algae? I remove some weekly with a toilet brush, but as my ponds are so small, there's so much in there that my fish can hardly swim around. Or will it dissappear on it's own once my plants start growing again?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

Hey there lola. The filter may very well be clogged. It probably needs a more aggressive cleaning with just a good jet of water. The bacteria will regenerate very quickly.

The string algae can be controlled with Hydrogen peroxide. With such a small size to treat you won't need more than a couple of ounces per treatment. I would put the peroxide in a squeeze bottle to better control where it goes. Spray directly on the algae. I would direct it to the sides of the barrels. It won't hurt the fish and you can repeat the treatment in hours. It could be just minutes but why push it for a newby? It breaks down very quickly.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Spring is slowly getting here
It is 71 degrees outside and all the ice has melted...
frankielynnsie
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™