grass ID please?

adidas(6/7)June 6, 2014

This is one of a kind here so either it is rare or it escaped from someone's garden miles away. It has narrow leaves and delicate purple flowers...beautiful! I'm in Northern VA (cove forest, Appalachians).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

Looks like one of the rosette grasses, Dichanthelium sp. Should have smaller leaves in a rosette at the base of the plant,otherwise it is a Panicum sp. If Dichanthelium it is likely one of the narrow-leaved species such as D. linearifolium or D. depauperatum.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:42PM
adidas(6/7)

I don't see a rosette...so I'll go w/Panicum.

Thanks Lycopus!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 6:39AM
adidas(6/7)

No, I think you're right...it looks more like a Dichanthelium sp but I can't find a description with the purple flowers...you'd think this would be part of a description....it's a fairly distinct feature? I can't really see rosettes on either species you mentioned but I'm probably missing something? If it helps this was found in a limestone/meadow/forest edge setting. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 6:57AM
adidas(6/7)

Also just re-examined...stems are fuzzy....pubescent. Dead stalks from last yr but def. no rosette.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:11AM
lycopus(z5 NY)

My bad, the two species I mentioned are among the few that don't form the rosette leaves. It is probably D. linearifolium. I don't think the color of the flower is unique any species.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:18AM
adidas(6/7)

Ok....I see, everything has purple flowers :) Just found a key for Dichanthelium and every other one had purple flowers! I will go w/your ID of D. linearifolium.....I hope it spreads!

Thanks again!

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™