Early August in NH - Photo Heavy

deanneart(z5Southern NH)August 4, 2007

Here are a some photographs from the early August gardens here. The borders are putting on a last big flush of flowers and the containers are looking pretty lush right now.

The Pastel Classic daylilies in the front of the driveway garden with Russian Sage. One of my favorite combinations. I pruned all my sedums this year and they are looking nice and full with no flopping over.

This combination of David phlox and ÂWhite Swan is looking pretty right now

Some lilies

Hemerocalis ÂFinal Touch with Heliopsis

The patio looking at the terraces.

The few Casa Blancas the rodents left me. I love the look of these against the Actaeas

The dahlias are finally beginning to bloom in the mailbox garden. This shot is looking east toward the container garden.

Some container groupings

And some close up of some of the arrangements. This one is a study in foliar textures.

Sunshine in a container

I love the texture of the Coprosma and Bacopa together with the Plectranthus

I wasnÂt in love with this coleus ÂIndia Frills early on but now I just love it. The texture is quite unique an so interesting with those small leaves.

And my new absolute favorite coleus ÂMariposa with Colocasia ÂBlack MagicÂ. This coleus is a fast grower and enormous. ItÂs also in almost full sun.

OK I guess IÂd better quit for now or this tread wonÂt open. LOL

Deanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babs_clare

Holy canoli!! Deanne these pics are fabulous! Umm-nevermind about buying that book lol I think you could have *written* the book; ) I have to come back and soak in these images of beauty later today. Just SO beautiful!!! Thanks

~Babs

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 12:08PM
dodgerdudette

Spectacular photos Deanne! They make me want to rush out, buy a fancy schmancy new camera and take a photography class !! At what point did you prune your sedums ? And what is the name of the second Dahlia close-up ? Thanks for sharing these-I bet you could even make the stuff you don't want us to see look good !
Kathy in Napa

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 1:47PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Thanks Babs and Kathy!

Kathy, I pruned the sedums in mid-June when they were about eight to ten inches tall. This is the second season I've done that and am really happy not to have to stake the darned things. I'd only done the Autumn Joy last year and this year did the Matrona as well. I'm quite happy with the results. ~~ that dahlia is 'Le Baron'. I've got three nice clumps of that now so can probably share a tuber of it with you in the fall when I dig them if you'd like. Just remind me if you'd like one.

Deanne

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 4:54PM
lmcilhargie

Wonderful Deanne! I've looked through these 3 times already and will be back for another look or 2. I need you to remind me to prune my sedums next year. I just chopped off purple emperor because it got too tall and kept falling into the path. I really love that coleus mariposa! Everything looks just great. Babs is right, you don't need the book, you could write one yourself! Thanks for taking the time to post all of these pics. I know it's time consuming but it's much appreciated!

Eden

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 5:00PM
cynthia_gw

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 5:19PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Eden, thanks!!!! You must have been posting the same time I was. Do you prune your asters??? I prune the sedums the same time I do the asters. I'll be sure to post when I do it next year though. I'll have to get a pic of the Matronas. They really look good this year. Not as tall but NO STAKES! ~~ Remind me to get you some of that Mariposa coleus next spring as I'm sure I'll have plenty, LOL.

I sure wish we could all get together tonight and sip a beverage and talk of plants and things. I'm sitting in the dining room after being out in the 92 degree, humid day all day and am currently sipping a gin and tonic and enjoying every sip but it would be so much nicer if I had my garden friends here to chat and enjoy the evening.

OK I'm thinking I'm going to have a soak in the hot tub then throw something together for dinner.

Deanne

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 5:24PM
lmcilhargie

Deanne, I do prune my asters, usually around the beginning of July, but it was a little later this year. I seem to be late on everything this summer. I'll remember to do the sedums at the same time next year. I'd love some of the Mariposa coleus next spring! I'm awaiting my Saturday night bottle of wine. David went to pick me up some. I would love it if we could all have wine night together too.

Eden

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 6:56PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

I sipped wine last night...but heck, two nights in a row isn't a bad thing, right? Today was a FABULOUS weather day. I hope you get it tomorrow!

Deanne, I don't believe you. You couldn't have been away for a week in California and away at IU4 both and have your gardens up to such high standards!

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 7:18PM
just_t

WOW! Absolutely stunning! Going back to look again!

T.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 8:29PM
michelle_zone4

I think that Deanne must have a gardener to help her keep everything so perfect looking. Seriously, though Deanne I must appluade your skill at keeping your garden looking so lovely. Your containers are all so incredibly interesting. Is that a variegated hibiscus? That 'Mariposa' has wonderful coloring. Thanks for sharing your August garden with us.

Michelle

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 10:47PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Thanks again everyone! It is such a delight to be able to share this with all of you who 'get it'.

Michelle, LOL, nope, no help although I surely wish I did have help at least one day a week with the deadheading and stripping the dying daylily foliage. ~~Did you mean the tall plant in the fourth from the last photo? That's Abutilon 'Souvenir de Bonne'. I saw it first at Sue's last year and loved it. Hers was about seven feet tall and marvelous.

Bug, I've been deadheading and cleaning up eight to ten hours a day since I got home from CA and I've only just gotten the front almost finished. It's a real battle to catch up after having been gone almost two weeks. By the time I get the watering done it seems the day is almost done. I'm all about more foliage and less flowers right now! LOL

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 6:43AM
vtskiers(z6a CentralCT)

I wish I could sip wine. Between the antibiotics and the narcotics I doubt it would be a good idea.

Deanne, it all looks perfect as usual. Makes me want to run out and spend a week cleaning up my mess...lol. I love that coleus you've paired with the Acalpha. And that Mariposa coleus is to die for.

Nice job!

Sue

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 10:01AM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

Wow! Both your gardens and containers are beautiful! Do you overwinter your containers? Also, where do you purchase such beautiful coleus. I really like Mariposa - which in Spanish means butterfly!

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 1:14PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Thanks Sue and Bellarosa,

Sue, I was planning on getting some cuttings of both of those coleus for you. Everytime I see that Mariposa I think of you because I know its just your sort of thing. I wish you could sip wine also. I sure hope you get well soon.

Bellarosa, Yes I overwinter the majority of the plants in the containers. I save all the fuchsias, cannas, callas etc. I've been a hopeless coleus collector for quite a while now and have about 45 cultivars of coleus that I keep under lights in the winter time. I buy most of the new ones from Rosy Dawn Gardens on line. They have beautiful plants.
Deanne

Bookmark   August 5, 2007 at 2:04PM
chloehoover(z6b VA)

Im late in catching up on all the beauty these threads are showing off -- Deanne, I love to feel Im wandering your yard vicariously and virtually! I am always stunned by the artistry and how things look so magnificent - I know you put a lot of hard, hard work daily into it all and it shows.

Wish I could have been there sipping a G&T w/ya and picking your brains over all the wonderful combos you've got going!

--Cindy

Bookmark   August 6, 2007 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
daves10
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™