Keeping Busy In The Winter

harryshoe zone6 eastern PennsylvaniaJanuary 25, 2007

Looking at the garden just makes me depressed, so I have to come up with other ways to pass the time. Woodworking is one of those indoor hobbies I enjoy. I just finished our new 8 foot dining room table. DW wanted a table big enough for the whole family. With a trestle base. Overall we're pleased with the results, but a solid oak table that big is a bear to move.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AnneCecilia z5 MI

That is just gorgeous, Harry! It looks very nice in the room, too. I know what you mean about moving it, though. The 8' oak table my DH made years ago now resides in my eldest son's house. We moved that table through four different homes over the years but now it belongs to the young folks; they can horse it around with ease, LOL!

Anne

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 7:26PM
pete41(9ab FL.)

Over the years I did
model ships[wooden kits]
fly tying
painting military miniatures
reloading handgun ammo
oil painting[beatnik days]
working out
getting thrown off forums
only one I excelled at was the latter.
Since we really don't have winter here I have no indoor hobbies except this thing.
Into Yahoo messenger with voice-but need more contacts.

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 7:27PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

That's lovely - I invite you to bring your winter boredom here any time. Your table is similar to one I'd been looking at with a price tag of over $2000, chairs separate.

Happily for me, my sis in law remodeled and took out her dining room in lieu of a mega kitchen/great room. Her Duncan Phyfe with 4 leaves, 10 chairs needed a loving home and I took them. Not enough length to my own dining room to fully extend it, and I have one chair at a desk and one in a bedroom, but maybe someday :)

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 8:42PM
darbardi

Harry- that is a work of art.
Pete- huh? Go to bed.

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 9:09PM
labrea_gw

Beautiful work!

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 10:11PM
lesdvs9

Wow! That is absolutely beautiful, I'd be really proud of myself if I could accomplish something like that. That's my one regret that they didn't offer girls woodshop in high school when I was young. Nowdays I'd cut something off if I attemted it, I'm a disaster with knives and my husband won't let me near his saws:)

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 11:06PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Harryshoe--I'm impressed. Very professional looking.

I have an old dining room table with gothic carved legs--so heavy I can't even budge it. It only gets moved if there are at least two muscle-bound guys in the house.

Kate

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 4:40AM
kathwhit(z8, West OR)

Wonderful work Harry. You should be very proud of yourself. I have always loved tools of all kinds, esp. power tools and woodworking tools. I wish I had a shop to mess around in during the winter. You are putting the non-gardening time to good use.
Kathy

Bookmark   January 26, 2007 at 12:05PM
brother_cadfael(z5 seWI)

As a professional woodworker, I know good work when I see it, and that's GREAT work Harry.

BC:)

Bookmark   January 27, 2007 at 10:54AM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Thanks everyone. Pictures hide the mistakes. My woodworking is more primitive than antique. More solid than pretty. There is a great deal of satisfaction to make a unique piece that will be there long after I will be gone. Hopefully some family member will keep it.

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
New DA plants arrived!!
I got home from work yesterday and there was a big...
bethnorcal9
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
Can you message me or anyone else?????
I made sure to check, "allow users to message...
jasminerose4u, California
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™