Does this make sense to anyone?

irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)January 29, 2007

I was looking for wisteria and came across an online source I"m not familiar with. (bloom river).

I sent them an email asking them if they had any wisteria trees (standards) and I also asked them what was the reason for 99% of their wisteria being grafted (they had many different types and almost everyone of them was grafted).

Now I know why we have grafted roses, but wisteria is so "weed-like" that I was wondering why it would need to be grafted. Here is their response to me:

"Except for the Wisteria sinensis, which we do from cuttings, all are grafted to assure 2 things. 1) Grafting assures that the cultivar name remains true (think of it as the "blood" line. and 2) Grafted wisterias bloom much sooner than other forms of propagation"

The first part of this response makes no sense to me. Does anyone get it?

I guess I should have asked what they are grafted onto.

Thanks

Maureen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labrea_gw

GEE I dont know but whiteflower farms carries Tree wysteria

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 2:51AM
cecily(7 VA)

Part 1 means asexual reproduction verses sexual reproduction. Why grafting instead of growing from cuttings... maybe wisteria cuttings don't root well (yeah, that does seem hard to believe).

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 8:12AM
irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)

Labrea - Yes, I've seen it at whiteflower farms, but 150.00 plus shipping seem very pricey.

cecily - thank you. Thanks for the info on asexual vs. sexual reproduction. I'm still a bit confused, because I know when i get a grafted vs. own root they are the same rose. Is this different with wisterias?

Thanks
Maureen

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 4:44PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

In Houston there was always a great gnashing of teeth at non-blooming wisteria and the assorted thing people would do to try to coax a massive in the ground tree to put out blooms (I got lucky, mine bloomed without my turning to extraordinary measures).
For the price that wisteria trees sell for, I would expect them to guarantee that the scions are from blooming stock.
And that the rootstock is a cultivar that isn't as prone to suckering.

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 8:26PM
beerhog(z7AR)

The only reason I would think that a wisteria would be grafted, if it is a standard, is to keep it from suckering and turning into a massive vine.

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 1:54AM
irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)

Thanks Ann. I found a company who has so many wisteria, I can't wait to read up on them and see which one I will get. the company with the largest inventory so far is bloom river. they have about 15 different types. None are standards, but I can train one into a standard.

Beerhog - I was wondering if that is why it is grafted, to keep it from suckering and turning into a massive vine. But that was not part of the suppliers response, so I was confused about that.

Bookmark   February 1, 2007 at 6:52AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I'm still digging beast Wisteria out. It sent roots bigger than my wrist everywhere, including several feet under concrete and up into a raised bed.

Enjoy.

Bookmark   February 2, 2007 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Please help choose roses for tricky spots!
Hi everyone! I'm new to roses but been gardening for...
brightstar123
Deja Blu vs Dr. John Dickman
I have and like very much Deja Blu. It looks similar...
Maryl zone 7a
Blood meal
The results of the soil test recommend adding .2 lbs....
Gary
Palatine roses in Ontario...
Has anyone ever ordered from Palatine Roses? If so,...
scott_madison
Some new roses
My rose bushes have a lot of buds and are about to...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Sponsored Products
Compact Tool Organizer
$11.99 | zulily
Five Light Scavo Glass Black with Gold Accents Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Coco Chair in Rock Salt
Grandin Road
Safavieh Hand-hooked Oasis Light Blue Wool Rug (7'9 x 9'9)
Overstock.com
Industrial Bar Chair
$249.99 | Dot & Bo
Halo Recessed Lighting 6 in. White Recessed Lighting Air-Tite Baffle Trim with
$14.97 | Home Depot
Vintage Shed Bird House
Signature Hardware
Carlton Silver Leaf Five-Light Chandelier
$659.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™