We like eggplant but this is ridiculous

gandle(4 NE)October 18, 2010

When we cleaned the garden there were 8 nice eggplants that we harvested. We have been using them all season but this may be a few too many. All we could manage to give away were 3, so yesterday we had eggplant with garlic sauce. Tomorrow will be baked stuffed eggplant. Later on in the week we will have lasagna using lengthwise slices of eggplant lightly roasted instead of the lasagna pasta. We have made a eggplant pickle that is eaten the same day and some of the smaller ones we didn't even count are used in stir frys, but, we are running out of ideas and are getting a bit tired of repeating the above dishes.

Just plain fried eggplant is to me just edible but I really would rather have it some other way.

Any advice for an exitingly different way to use these purple vegetables?

Guess botanically they would really be a fruit but don't believe they would be too good in a fruit cup.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

I'm not a fan of eggplants; the only way I will willingly eat them is when they are thinly sliced, dipped in a cornmeal-based batter and lightly sauteed in very garlicky butter-oil. Dip in cocktail sauce and I can ignore the eggplant part. BTW, once cooked these can be frozen. DH likes them batter-fried and served over linguine with a lot of marinara sauce over all.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 1:16PM
agnespuffin

I made a batch of spagetti sauce once with a lot of eggplant cut up in the usual tomato/and other stuff. It was very good.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 1:17PM
pamven(z5neastindiana)

Google Nigilla Lawsons recp for badejan dip...its a good way to use up eggplant. That said, i have a shelf in the freezer full of 2 serving portions of eggplant lasagna that will sure taste good this winter.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 1:30PM
tibs(5/6 OH)

I like eggplant. DH is not that fond of it. One day they had an unannounced special on eggplant at the grocery. I found an easy (and turned out very tasty) recipe for baked egpplant parmigian, no frying. I made it, served it up and it looked as pretty as a picture. DH looked down at his plate, looked up at me with the saddest expression and said in the sorriest sounding voice: "In 29 years of marriage have I ever asked for eggplant?" AFter I quit laughing, I told him to eat it anyways. I had fixed some Italian sausage for him to try to make up for the unloved eggplant.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 3:10PM
susu_co(variable)

baba ganoush with pita......yum!

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 9:34PM
coconut_nj

I love eggplant and have been bemoaning that I didn't get enough of it this year. I use eggplant in spaghetti sauce like Puffy does, but I also love it in chili. There is always the standard ratatouille. Eggplant, green peppers, onion, tomatoes, mushrooms and basil in whatever proportions you think you'd like them. Basically a vegetable stew.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 4:41AM
mwoods

I don't like eggplant at all but Coke,you make it sound so good. If you are ever in Bucks County,you and Chrissy are more than welcome to stop by but you have to bring me something to eat. LOL Is there anything you can't make into a delicious meal?

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 8:37AM
Janis_G(z7GA)

I am not allowed to bring it in the house here.

Bookmark   October 19, 2010 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™