They're Alive!!

jennyb5149(3b)March 19, 2011

Okay, no question here but I am just so excited I HAD to go somewhere to share my good news with people who would appreciate it!

My koi finally were active enough today for me to see all of them. On my first try overwintering them in the pond, all six koi made it through the winter in the 6 foot deep addition I added last September with only aerators running.

Holy cow what a winter! As I watched the pond ice over and then over 2 feet of snow gather on top of the pond, I grew more and more certain that spring would come and I'd find koi-sicles. Hope started to diminish when it iced over with no visible holes for the toxic gases to escape but hey, at least I could still hear the aerators bubbling away. The my hope diminished further when the snow piled up on the ice and muffled the sound of the aerators to silence. Were they even working anymore? Faith had departed. That coupled with the fact that up here in zone 3b we get some ding dang COLD, COLD days for a couple months, I was absolutely certain that dead koi would greet me in the spring.

I was jumping and squealing like a pre-teen at a Justin Bieber concert when I was able to visually confirm that all 6 koi were swimming and alive.

So, that's all. Thanks for letting me tell you my good news.

Jenny

PS thank you Dr. David for giving me the instructions and fortitude to give it a try in the first place!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodkarma_(5b)

Looks like your hard work paid off. How exciting that they all made it. Congrats!

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 11:42PM
annedickinson

Jenny,

I remember the first winter I had my fish. How scarey to leave them in the pond - I fretted all winter. So far, each year, they have made it.

So.. congrats on live koi and congrats on you living through the stress of waiting for spring!!! :-)
Anne

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 8:31AM
lisa11310(z5 MI)

YEA! I still have a week or two before I will be able to see mine. My little 500 gal is still about 3/4 frozen. How did you thaw out before us????

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 2:48PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

YEAH! Happy dancing with you!!!!

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 12:52AM
More Discussions
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
sara_in_philly
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
New container water garden/fish pond
Hi everyone! We have wanted to create a water garden/fish...
Houndmom
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™