Paper or plastic or digital or some combo?

anntn6b(z6b TN)February 14, 2007

I am sitting at my desk, computer on. Well, it's this computer. First computer was struck and fried by lightening. Second was fried by lightening.

Third and fourth died of hard drive death.

This is the sixth (DH uses the fifth).

The above explains why I have no faith in what's on my hard drive. And I do have backup CDs cut of most things.

But I also have books with references marked. And hand written notes from library searches where copies couldn't be made.

I am drowning in information.

Any suggestions on making it simpler?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theroselvr

If it is important to me, I have multiple copies. The computer I use currently has 3 hard drives, I run "My Documents" from the 2nd. I save stuff to the 2nd, then back up on the 3rd. I also have a 750 mb zip disk for photos, making those backed up 3 times.

On my newest computer, which I was gonna build with my dad before he died, I have a main drive and will have 2 500 gig drives. I've started thinking of getting a fireproof box and storing a backup drive or 2 in it.

Bookmark   February 15, 2007 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchids2000(7b)

A good filing system for paper items, books, CDs and a card catalog system that references where to locate said item. Index cards and plastic bins work well for making the catalog. I know antiquated but if the computer dies the database doesn't die with it. Plus I have gotten tired of turning on the computer just to bring up the database to locate something. JM2CW.

Bookmark   February 15, 2007 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
Please Get To The Huntington Quickly!!
Please try to get to the Huntington in the next few...
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
Blue Girl - bush
I'm starting to think about culling out the noncontenders...
canadian_rose
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™