Tuteur today!

woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)August 19, 2010

Finally...!

It arrived about 9:15:

Mario forgot to bring his power auger! So he and Randy dug the holes for the legs by hand. Fortunately it wasn't too bad digging in the spot where it was to go, so they were soon ready to position it, put in the concrete and level the tuteur.

The tuteur is behind and a bit to the north side of the iron arbour he built for me in 2003.

(The tuteur is not leaning- I'm holding the camera lopsided! :-)

The work crew (Randy, Mario's son, his son's support worker, and Mario).

I had planted 4 clematises (Star of India, Perrin's Pride, Rouge Cardinal and Huldine) last year in the tuteur area to get them started. Of course, they got somewhat trampled today so we'll see if I'll need to replant next year or whether they will recover...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cyn427 (zone 7)

That looks spectacular! Nice work by the team! I love the way you have designed it and the way you use height in the garden, Woody. Next year-wow! Can't wait to see the clems climbing up it, although it does work simply as garden art-it is that beautiful!

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 1:44PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

How exciting! At last!

I think your clematis will recover just fine. Remember, 3-4 years for them to leap forward! (I know, patience is over-rated)

We have about 3 drops of rain here...

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 2:05PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

gb - we haven't even had the three drops of rain here... it all has slid by to the east so far :-(

The 3-4 year wait is the reason I planted them last year - trying to cut off one year of the wait at least!

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 2:59PM
chelone

Oh, Woody, it's beautiful! are you planning to leave it grey/black or are you going to powdercoat it a fun color?

You must be thrilled. :)

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 5:57PM
triple_creek(z5)

Wonderful Woody! You did a superb job of designing it and Mario did an excellent welding job. I like the clean lines and agree it is art in itself. I hope to see it smothered in flowers one day.

Norma

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 7:45PM
lmcilhargie

I love it! Almost too pretty to cover with clematis, lol. Really, really nice Woody!

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 7:52PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

How wonderful Woody! I'm green with envy! What a terrific focal piece for your beautiful garden!
Deanne

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 8:00PM

Yeah - we're pretty pleased with it...! gb - how upset would the clematis be if I cut them down to the height of the 'box' base each year (18") before winter, so the pattern on the top would show nicely against the snow in winter?

Chelone - I'm so conservative... it will be left the charcoal gray/black that you see now :-)

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 8:02PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Huldine & Perrin's Pride won't mind but I don't know about the others. It could seriously delay blooms on them the next year if they are type 2. I'd do it in December or January...depending when serious snow appears. Sometimes the seedheads are of interest in winter though...so play it by ear.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 8:22PM

gb - they are all type 3. I deliberately didn't plan on any type 2s on the tuteur so it could at least be cleared to show the structure in spring. So, is it safe to cut down a group 3 just before the snow arrives?

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 8:55PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Well, maybe the day after. ;) (joking) People have done their pruning in winter in the past and claimed all was well...but I've never tried it.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 9:10PM
chloehoover(z6b VA)

Great location for it, Woody. You're going to love it.

-Cindy

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 8:53AM
saucydog(z5MA)

Beautiful in place - and just the perfect size!

Saucy

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 12:13PM
denisez10(SoCal)

Came out wonderfully. Having something fabricated seems to be the only way to go. I need to find me a metal worker!

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 6:13PM
chelone

Yeah, Saucy, the mass-produced arbors/tuteurs are never quite tall enough, in my own opinion. We continually ran into that issue when trying to find trellises for the house. We wanted something that was in an appropriate height and mass, proper scale! for a tall, rather bland home.

The helpmeet finally agreed to make them; ditto for the pergola on the north side of the house.

I can't wait to see how the clematis mature over time, Woody.

Bookmark   August 21, 2010 at 8:01AM
michelle_zone4

It's fabulous Woody! How fortunate you are to have such a lovely piece in your garden and he delivered and installed it to boot. Mario is a treasure himself.

As for the pruning of type 3's I'm far from an expert but up until a couple of years ago I had a Jackmanii by my front door climbing the wrought iron post. I cut it back in late fall or early winter because it grew to such monstrous portions each year the by the end of the growing season it nearly prevented people from coming in the door. It didn't seem to mind. I eventually moved it.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 9:37PM

Michelle - yes, Mario is a treasure! And I'm glad to know your group 3 survived a fall cut-back. We'll see what happens when/if I try that here :-)

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 9:48AM
flowerluvr(Z5 IN)

Wonderful, Woody! It looks SO good, and I can't wait to see it with the clematis on it!

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 9:02PM
drema_dianne(z6OH)

Woody, it is truly a thing of beauty! You did a great job designing and Mario is a fabulous craftsman. So happy it turned out just right for you.

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
I love wood Anemones...
Or Anemone nemorosa. They are just starting to poke...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
2015 Garden Resolutions
Each year for the past few I say that I am going to...
rouge21_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™