What the heck is this plant?

Metaphor_June 8, 2014

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help me figure out what this plant is. I'm a new gardener, planted a bunch of things but forgot to label them, and now I have a few of these odd things in my container garden.

They have what look like mini-thorns on the outside, but they don't sting. Pretty big plants compared to everything else. And they just shot up within a few weeks.

Some things that are within the realm of possibility:

Komatsuna
Radish watermelon
Early snowball turnip

It's probably not a weed, since I started the garden from scratch using potting mix. I live in Toronto. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

All the possibilities you mention are Brassicas and the plant in the picture is a Brassica which has bolted i.e. gone to flower before it grew enough leafage to harvest as a vegetable. I can't tell from the photo which of the three is might be but would lean towards the radish from what I can see from the leaves.

On a general note you have really way too many veggies in the planter, unless you are growing for cut and come again saladings.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:02AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

And you have a heck of a nice view as well.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 9:47AM
Metaphor_

Thanks guys! Once you said it bolted, I ripped it out. It smelled radishy when I broke it up. Maybe it was a watermelon radish--if so, I guess that's one crop I won't bother with anymore.

Do you think it bolted because it was too crowded? Not enough light? Too hot? I get around 5h direct sunlight from 1pm-7pm. It's started hitting 26 degrees C.

As for the spacing... thank you for the suggestion! I have no idea what I'm doing :) I was trying to follow square foot gardening guidelines; apparently I was too aggressive.

The lettuce tastes fairly bitter, but the little chards are tasty. The peas are taking forever - finally they're showing some pods, though I planted them back in early April. I thought I'd get more food out of two 114L containers... d'oh :/

Thanks for the feedback!

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 6:42PM
eloise_ca

Looks like arugula.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 10:32PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

It's a radish. Red base to the stem is where the root has failed to develop. It bolted for all the reasons you thought of.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Identifying hedge plant, and why its going brown?
I have many of these evergreen hedges around my garden...
Vivre
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
Who knows what type of orchid this is?
I keep getting these "Unusual Plant" emails....
Scooby D. Labbé
Silk flower NOID
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Do you know the name of this plant\flower?
This is a late bloomer. Striking seed pods. A perennial....
jbsez
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™