Orchid people vs. rose people

nickelsmumz8(8)March 30, 2007

I was pretty heavily into orchids for several years, but when I moved up to Oregon, the moving process (which was long and drawn out) ended killing virtually all my orchids. Well, I was just browsing around in the Antiques board and saw an old post about the book Otherwise Ordinary People.

This made me wonder -- those who do/have done both intensive orchiding and intensive rose-ing, which set are weirder?

My money's on orchid people, especially because orchid collecting can get into a lot of serious money and lawbreaking if you are obsessed with unusual species, but I could be wrong. I'd love to hear others' impressions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I only have one orchid and I can't make it bloom.

Rose people are definitely weirder. Rose people include Pete41, Karl, DiggerDave, Patrick, Cactus Joe and myself.

No other flower group could match that motley crew. Really, need I say more?

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 7:25AM
pagan(8b)

Harry - good point!

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 8:10AM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

I'd probably do something illegal RE: roses if need be, lol. I have snipped where snipping wasn't allowed... just couldn't resist for a special, unavailable rose!

I killed my only orchid too, lol. I love them but have to stick with hardy plants or I'd be bankrupt.

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 8:20AM
orchids2000(7b)

Both hobbies can cost $$$. Both have insect/disease issues that are a pain to deal with and can threaten the plant. Both have the obsessed show groupies looking for hardware but with the AOS you get the honor of paying for that awarded plant. Both have the chemical groupies and my way of growing is far superior to yours. Both have the obsessed how do I get around the plant police for that coveted plant. Then there are those of us that just want to enjoy our plants and pastime and each other. I find both groups cover the traits equally IMHO. :)

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 11:18AM
nickelsmumz8(8)

Harry dear,

If that's your best examples of weird rose people, then rose people are not even in the same ballpark. :)

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 1:32PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

But, they try so hard!

Bookmark   March 30, 2007 at 2:02PM
labrea_gw

Roses are it for me I just like taking pictures of Orchids once a year!!!!!!!!!! had a bud who turned his bedroom into an orchid growing zone and he took to sleeping on the sofa.

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 12:32AM
nickelsmumz8(8)

Meredith -- that's barely pale pink illegal compared to the CITES violations that some orchid folks get up to. We're talking about international smuggling of wild collected endangered rain forest species here, and so on. And obviously, the cost of an individual orchid plant is WAY higher than an individual rose plant -- even unawarded plants are going to cost a lot more. You can get just about any rose in production for under $30, right? Hahahaha! Orchids that are easy to propagate (meristem cloning) are expensive because the cloning technology is pretty expensive and takes fancy equipment. Then there are types that don't clone well at all and have to be propagated by hand division and such. Well, I'll stop there. You can see where it goes. Then, providing an environment for many orchids to live in is incredibly expensive and a lot of work in many parts of the world.

Labrea, yep, that's probably not that unusual. I bet he put really expensive sodium grow lights on the ceiling, on a timer that changes day length seasonally -- who wants to try to sleep under that! LOL.

So far, my private bet is still winning. :)

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Aunt Margy's Rose
This picture was supposed to join the others on my...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
NEVER plant a wisteria and kill it when it starts growing!
Our local electric co-op just came out and took down...
particentral
Is my new rose bush dying?
I just planted 3 new bushes in my front yard.. 2 of...
bruin27
Before you order...
I have been propagating a lot of roses this past year,...
bluegirl_gw
Why did all the leaves on my rose just fall off?
I was able to propagate a rose from my daughters wedding...
soranch
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™