Good Grief....

Holly_ON(6a Ontario)April 26, 2014

I saw water hyacinths at a local nursery yesterday. They had individual price tags on them at $10.99! It is way too cold to put them out. Other years that nursery only guarantees them after May 24th and has clear signage to discourage customers from taking a chance. We are still getting night time temperatures hovering at the zero mark here in Ontario. These plants were "only" $3.99 last year. These were the dwarf size and still on display in the hot house and looked appealing health wise. I pity the pond newbie here who succumbs to the temptation to buy these at this price way too early in the season for success.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

I wonder if it has anything to do with areas trying to discourage using them, since they are so invasive in waterways?

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 11:03AM
sdavis(z7b nc)

I can imagine there is a short supply of water hyacinth early in the year after such a severe Winter.

So close to the North pole...

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 7:21PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

That is an outrageous price.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 10:48AM
CaraRose

My four I think were $3 each last year. I ended up thinning them out of the pond at least 5 times over the season.

The garden center I go to had them, but I asked the guys and they both agreed I shouldn't get them yet unless I intended to bring them in if the temps drop

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 11:33AM
diggery(z8)

Good grief is right. That's highway robbery not to mention a few other disreputable adjectives which shall go unmentioned. Yet another reason it always pays to do one's research.

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
Silicone brand - does it matter?
Hi all! So I'm currently repairing my first pathetic...
jennyb5149
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?
Hi, My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our...
sumognat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™