A blue heron moment

anntn6b(z6b TN)March 8, 2007

With wildlife, we have moments that will never be repeated.

This a.m. I opened the curtains on our bedroom wide so the sister calico cats could enjoy their afternoon sunbeams.

Coming right at me, the blue heron. What a windspan, what grace of movement. The morning trip up river to some shoals where fishing is good.

I've always watched a blue heron since we bought the farm. Usually I'd see him or her in the late afternoon, flying very high on his flight path from up the Holston River, flying over our place to where ever he nested farther down the Holston. One year there were two on the afternoon flight path and then a younger third.

But this is the lowest I've ever seen one fly. Now I will have to watch for the afternoon return, just to see if he's changed to a lower flight plan.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carla17(Z7 NC)

I love Blue Herons. When we ride on the lake we see lots of them. I've never been able to catch a photo though. Yes, I've seen them fly low over the water.

Carla

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 11:17AM
pagan(8b)

gorgeous creatures! What a wonderful experience!

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 12:38PM
debnfla8b

Behind our house, our neighbor has a nice fishing pond. I always enjoy watching that very large heron coming in for a landing about 5:30-6:00am every morning. It is such a handsome looking bird and VERY large.

Also the turkey vultures have been swarming more often lately. It is also fun watching them perform their figure 8's in the sky.

I love this time of year.

Deb

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 1:33PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

Beautiful. We have one on our land down the street who flies by here sometimes.

At where I used to work, we had one at the manmade pond! You could stand 6 feet away from him and see every movement. I never thought a heron would be up for that, but he came nearly every day. I always ate my lunch out with him and the geese.

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 3:04PM
michaelalreadytaken

They are beautiful creatures. You're lucky to have one nearby.

Michael

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 4:44PM
peachiekean(z10A CA)

I just have to chime in. Yesterday morning as I turned onto the street of where I work Orange County, CA right in front of me was a big turkey vulture dragging a dead possum to the curb. There is not much left of that possum today.
We also enjoy the occasional blue herons and the numerous snowy egrets down at the creek near our house. We also see kites and kingfishers. Ah, life is good.

Bookmark   March 9, 2007 at 7:05PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Since we just built a koi pond, Heron are now The Enemy. But I still like them, just not in my neighborhood. I saw a red shafted Northern Flicker on Sunday. I've never seen one of those before. Their favorite food is ants, which I have plenty of.

Bookmark   March 13, 2007 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
vigorosa roses
As I continue my research on roses that will work in...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
New record!
OK, all you snow freaks, you got your new record here...
seil zone 6b MI
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™