Cats Who Drown Socks

michaelalreadytakenMarch 6, 2008

Dear Abby,

My cats keep drowning my white socks in their water bowl.

It usually isn't a problem until I wake up to go to work and find they've "liberated" my socks from the laundry basket and drowned them all.

I have tried fussing at them but all I get in return is this dazed, detached, passive, disinterested "Children of the Corn" look in return.

Occasionally, they begin to purr loudly as I'm fussing, which I find disrespectful and counterproductive and, frankly, somewhat sado-masochistic.

What should I do?

Respectfully,

Having a Catfight in Vacaville

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronda_in_carolina

LOL -- my mom's cat feeds and waters her babies. She even lines them up in anticipation of "their turn". At any given time there is a mineature mouse or other toy floating while others lie in amongst the kibble. hehe

Maybe your baby needs her own special basket of 'baby' socks to nuture.

:o)

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 2:01PM
veilchen(5b southern Maine)

When my dog was a puppy she thought it was fun to drop her ball in her water dish. Then she would slop water all over the floor getting it out. Once she dropped the ball in the toilet.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 2:58PM
michaelalreadytaken

Well, I'm not alone then! Mine splash water all over the place too, especially the Bengal (Mr. Touch Me Not). He actually bathes in the water dish.

Next cat item on the agenda: electric blankets and the inability to sleep in one's own bed. :) They get upset if they can't have the bed to themselves. Of course, I do too but it's my bed afterall.

MichaelAT

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 10:51PM
Terry Crawford

It's now 5:30 a.m. and my 17-yr. old cat woke me from a sound sleep at 4:00 a.m. She charged up the stairs into the bedroom yelling "hello" like the house was on fire and then proceeded to leisurely give herself a bath. It's so weird...she sounds like she's mimicing a parrot when she talks.

Now that I'm up, she's nowhere to be found. Probably sleeping peacefully somewhere.
-t

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 6:41AM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Project cats in charge. You need to get another bedroom for yourself.

Carla

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 8:19AM
melva(7b/8aTX)

Am I the only one who questions whether placing objects into a bowl of water, is nuturing behavior?

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 4:18PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

This should make you feel better:

Here is a link that might be useful: failed dogs

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 8:41PM
michaelalreadytaken

HOOV, those are HILARIOUS!

THANK YOU!

MichaelAT

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 11:14PM
kittymoonbeam

terryjean keep an eye on your older cat's vocalizations. If it happens frequently at night, you may need to tell your vet. I thought my kitty was just getting senile but his loud talking was a symptom of early kidney disease. Also, some kitties are losing their hearing and some are just being playful. Its good to be watchful if it gets to be frequent or happens in a pattern.

I love to hear about everyones cats. Mine have staked out all the best places for themselves as well. They live better than royalty here.

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 10:54AM
Terry Crawford

Kitty - I have an appt. to take Stormy to the vet on Wednesday for a check-up. She is starting to miss her litterbox as well. I just read an article in this month's Cat Fancy magazine about older cat dementia, so I'm concerned. She is still talking loudly at night, which the article said older cats will do because they get lost at night. She's had trouble with her kidneys before also. Thanks for the concern and I'll post after Wednesday.
-terry

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 1:44PM
jody(7b - NC)

I've had several cats that are sock retrievers, but none who would drown the socks. Very inconvenient I agree.

DH says our bed is not a bed, but an ark. Two humans, three cats and one dog. Its not always conducive to sleeping well for the humans although the fur balls seem to do okay.

Do you cats look for the softest place in the house. If there is a throw pillow on the sofa, Baxter, will knock it over and then paw the throw off the back of the sofa onto the pillow and lay on top of the whole heap - sofa, pillow throw. Must be comfortable you know.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
Roses from highcountry roses - really disappointed
I received my roses from highcountryroses today. It...
bluehaven_gweb
Anyone have experience with baby romantica roses? I'm in zone 8.
Just came across Romantica roses - charming! I container...
salleygardens
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™