editing

krista_marie(5)October 7, 2011

sigh. I have a problem with this. The guilt of wasting perfectly good plants. Today, I edited out the excessive Knautia. I do pot up things to share, swap and plain old give away. Sometimes, there are just too many to pot up. I let 20 sunflowers grow to full height in my perennial bed because I couldn't bear to rip them out. I let the Caryopteris seedlings grow. I let the Knautia freely seed because the yellow finches love them (and the sunflowers). The Salvia seedlings were more manageable to pot up. Five years ago, I had a hard time nixing the purple asters but I have no problem now. This year, my pink asters have spread. I think I may throw them in a box with a sign "free to good home" and put them on the sidewalk. I don't understand where the guilt comes from. Am I a.....plant hoarder? I hope my guy doesn't call the T.V. show on me. I would look like an arse.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

You are not alone. I can't throw plants out either and have a couple of African Violets which are about 20 years old. When they get too stragely and don't bloom anymore they get a root cut, replanted and about 3 month later they start to grow again. Throw them out? No way, they are members of the family. A rosebush has about 10 blooms a year and they are from the root stock. Dig it out, the poor thing is trying!

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 6:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
west_gardener

Oh, the words "thin out", "cull", "edit" makes me cringe when it comes to gardening. Now, "trim" , "shape" and "prune" has less of a cringe reaction. Who knows?
On the other hand I have no problem cleaning out a bed for next season's plantings.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 5 - 15
Any committee is only as good as the most knowledgeable,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Quotes 2-20-15
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking...
west_gardener2
And just because it is Dr. Seuss Day
The more you read, The more you know. The more you...
anneliese32
Quotes 3 - 1 - 15
Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™