Making soap with rose petals in it......

anntn6b(z6b TN)March 19, 2007

First I have to learn to make soap (I think I have all the ingredients ready and Wed or Th will be clear but coolish for outdoor work).

Then I have until May to learn how to make perfect soap when Kazanlik is in bloom.

Any hints? Or are there roses whose scent translates better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

Hi----I don't know how to make it but I will check through some of my rose books.

My grandson was in London and brought me some soap with rose petals in it ---It looked like a wedge of pink cheese. It is so nice to use.

Florence

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 10:32AM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

How fun! I've been wanting to try soapmaking one day. Kanzalik would have to be a great choice. Tell us how it comes out, please.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 1:10PM
carla17(Z7 NC)

Do you have access to a fax machine, I could fax you something.

Carla

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 3:49PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

No fax that works.
But I'll post 'progress' reports here with questions.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 5:03PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

Once the thoroughly dried petals are dry, store them in a tightly covered jar.
Loosely covered petals have herbivores that reduce the petal volumn, leave them webby and nasty and leave behind DR (Dark Red) frass.

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 12:25PM
knash6(z7 GA)

Hi Ann,
Just wanted to let you know that the scent from any rose will not come through in soap. You must use a fragrance oil to achieve that unfortunatley. During the saponification process the petals will become brown as well, so do not expect any color from them either. You can crush the dried petals and put them on top of the soap, tons of soapers put botanicals on top, however, they may look pretty but become a total nightmare in the shower or tub. If you are looking for a place to learn how make soap I highly recommend the soap forum I frequent. We have over 5000 members now and some very very experienced soapmakers that contribute tremendously. I would also recommend you start reading the archives section first from the start of the forum (nov. 2002) and work forward. You will no doubt learn all the do's and don'ts in regard to soapmaking. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to email me....I can walk you through the process. :-))
www.soapdishforum.com

Kristi

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Rose thorn infection update
For those who missed the last thread on the subject,...
alisande
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
Can you message me or anyone else?????
I made sure to check, "allow users to message...
jasminerose4u, California
Westerland
Westerland is a newer rose and in my opinion, a better...
lynnette
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™