About my 2 sourdough starters...

debnfla8bApril 18, 2008

The one I made using yeast smells like...alcohol!!! I know the "hooch" that forms on top is actually alcohol. I just stir it back in or pour a little off if there is a lot.

The one I started using flour, water and a little pineapple juice smells like....a nice soured buttermilk! It smells good! Is this what a starter is supposed to smell like after only a day or two fermenting? I do hope that I am making it right.

But....I am very pleased so far with the one using no commercial yeast!

Thanks Rosesinny....you motivated me into another dimension of sourdough starters...LOL

Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debnfla8b

....and I have yeast!!! Bubbles galore!

Deb :o))

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 10:00PM
rosesinny(7a)

It's pretty cool isn't it? The flavors and aromas are totally different. First time I did it I was all excited and then the dough didn't rise for like 2 days. Eventually I figured out that I had to re-start it a few times before it really got going.

The thing is, you never know what you're going to end up with. Sometimes they stink a little, other times they don't. the only thing is I have never yet gotten one that worked as quickly as a commercial yeast, although I have now saved one that's pretty close.

Let us know what you end up with!

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 9:48PM
debnfla8b

I baked a loaf of bread today!!! It took all day to rise but that was okay. The bread baking smelled almost like a cheese bread. But when I made David some sandwiches with it, it didn't taste like cheese bread. It was a beautiful loaf, if I do say so myself!!! The starter smells sort of sour, like a strong buttermilk smell. So far, I like the taste of it.

Tell me how to dry some for a back up starter if something awful happens to it..LOL

Deb

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 10:04PM
rosesinny(7a)

Spread some on plastic or parchment paper or something. It will dry up and then you can store it. It's kind of the way that they save commercial yeast in the packages - remember that almost all of the yeast cells in the package are dead.

I don't remember the exact difference between the rapid rise that came out about 50 years ago and the newer instant rise - if I'm not mistaken one of the main differences is that the newer one has more live yeast cells. As some cells die they entomb a live cell, so you have these little balls of dead cells surrounding a live one and consequently you have a greater proportion of viable cells when you start.

The labeling isn't consistent, which is a pain. The vendor can call it whatever he wants But the earlier yeast, whatever it's called, is dried at higher temperatures. That kills more of the exterior yeast cells. The newer one, instant or rapid or whatever, is dried at lower temperatures so more cells survive. So you can do the same. However, at some point that yeast will no longer be viable either - all yeast has an expiration date eventually.

Anyhow, good luck with that phase!

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 6:50PM
More Discussions
Rose Fields
La Sumida off the Patterson exit in Santa Barbara,...
Kippy
Hybrid tea White Magic
I was wondering if anyone has grown the Hybrid tea...
gibsongirl74_gw
First Vase of the spring
Small vase to start, but just starting to get the first...
kingcobbtx9b
Need help locating "ingredients" for an organic soil conditioner.
I would like to try an organic soil conditioner for...
scott_madison
Had a pleasant experience with J&P today...
I had to call them about my order. I only ordered 2...
bethnorcal9
Sponsored Products
Berber Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$724.00 | Lumens
Area Rug: Camille Leighton Multi 3' 2" x 5' 5"
$79.97 | Home Depot
Chocolate Color Surface Bedroom Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Paper Chandelier with Shades
Lightology
Euro Floating Wall Shelf
Home Decorators Collection
Clara 18-inch Indoor/ Outdoor Throw Pillows with Sunbrella Fabric (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Dollop Cocoa Holdback Set of 2
$18.95 | Bellacor
Artemide | Mongura Mini Table Lamp
$895.00 | YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™