mini-me skippy bio filter: how to prevent outflow leakage

wispfox(6a)April 23, 2013

Hey, all!

I've had a mini-me skippy bio-filter for a couple of years now, and no matter what I do, the connection between the shower drain output flow and the PVC pipe back to the pond always has a leak. Sometimes slow, sometimes not. We've tried all sorts of things (various kinds of tapes, different angles, etc), but nothing solves the problem.

We also tried a waterfall output from the skippy, but that loses water too fast, and I can't figure out where.

Does anyone know of a method to attach the shower drain to the pvc in a way that is reversable and doesn't leak? If I need to move it, having that attached would be irritating.

*frustrated*

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

I used a rubber sheet cut to fit behind the flange with the hole for the pipe barely large enough to fit snugly around the pipe. Most people cut an X smaller than the pipe diameter since the rubber will stretch to fit.

I used a silicon type adhesive/filler to attach this gasket to the filter body although there are a number of products that would work as well. It doesn't have to dry hard. In fact it is better if it remains flexible. It has been in place over 10 years now. The flange can be tightened down to compress the rubber to prevent leaks.

Check the plumbing section for DIY rubber sheets. They are usually about 4x4 inches.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 2:00PM
kashka_kat(z4 WI)

Sleepless, couldnt you use a scrap piece of EPDM, or is the rubber you are referring to stretchier than that? Thnx -I am about to start my own plumbing project for my filtration and I have a lot of leftover pieces.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:31PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

The rubber is much thicker than the EPDM. It also is textured on one side to hold the filler in place. It's cheap enough that I didn't try the EPDM.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
Tree stump for decoration???
Hello all, I need information about my new 2,800 gallon...
izolah76
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™