Curious Bluebird

jody(7b - NC)April 9, 2007

The house came with a bluebird box which was unoccupied last season. When the neighbor took down all the trees next door and seeded grass, that acre of open space apparently made our bluebird house more attractive (we took out some trees also), because a couple moved in this spring.

Saturday afternoon Drew and I were laying on the grass talking (no privacy indoors). The grass was warm and flat out of the wind it wasn't too bad. I noticed one of the bluebirds (Mr., I think) land on a nearby tree - pointed it out to Drew. We watched it as it flew across us and landed on the guttering on the house. Then it flew down about 24" from us - sort of hovered, fluttering its wings very fast and then did this peck, look, peck, look, peck thing, eyeing us very closes. Curious as a cat I think - just had to figure out who or what we were. Such a beautiful bird, a thrill to see it so closely.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AnneCecilia z5 MI

What a special experience, Jody - one I'm sure you'll never forget. Your clearing out the trees definitely made your yard more inviting; they love the open spaces of our fields and our nest boxes are along the fence lines. We often have several families at a time. Just wait until you see those cute little baby bluebirds later on - now that's really a treat. And they work so hard, eating bugs! I just love bluebirds - enjoy yours!
Anne

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 5:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

Oh --You are so lucky----What a lovely experience.

We have several birdhouses all over our property but sadly not enough empty space to attract a bluebird---I would be so thrilled to see one up close.

Florence

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
I just gotta have it!
I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a...
sara_ann-z6bok
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
Can you message me or anyone else?????
I made sure to check, "allow users to message...
jasminerose4u, California
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™