skin care for gardeners?

michelle_co(z5 CO)April 6, 2007

Hi,

It's only April and my hands are already feeling like old leather gloves. They are taking a beating from working in the garden, from the arid climate here, and from washing a hundred times a day (taking care of my grandmother's medical problems).

What can I do to help them? I wear garden gloves outside whenever possible, and medical gloves to reduce some of the handwashing.

Are there any extremely effective solutions?

Thanks!

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Krista_5NY

Crabtree & Evelyn make an outstanding hand cream, best I've found. It has a light, slightly sweet herby scent.

It's got shea butter and beeswax I think for a rich and soothing feel.

It comes in three different sizes, an 8 ounce pump, and also in 3.4 ounce tube and 1.7 ounce tube.

I notice from the website they've added some new hand products to their collection, including a nail cream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardener's Hand Car

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 2:36PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

You might try AmLactin 12% Moisturizing Cream (they make a less potent lotion too, you'll want the cream). Made by Upsher-Smith, has lactic acid which is a natural skin humectant. My doctors nurse suggested it; I find it at an old fashioned family owned Rexall. About $12. I hate a greasy feel or perfume on my hands, this doesn't have that.

If you are desperate and want almost overnight healing when they get so dry they hurt, buy a pair of cotton gloves and slather on Neosporin ointment, a good tablespoon or more (now you want the ointment and not the cream:)) at bedtime. Hopefully you are better behaved and do not pull off the gloves in your sleep, oiling up your expensive sheets, like I do....

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 4:27PM
carla17(Z7 NC)

I have the Crabtree and Evelyn but if you want something extra soothing and healing try Aquapor ointment. It's very rich and like a once per week treatment. You can use it whenever you want though. I'm a hand cream collector, lol.
Aveda makes a nice smooth one too. Yes in cotton gloves.

Carla

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 5:24PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

my DH uses a product called "Nothing like it"--it was formerly called 'Hoof Hoof Horray"
1-800-288-4325------

DH says it works better than anything he has ever tried.

Florence

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 6:33PM
michelle_co(z5 CO)

Thanks -

I got some cotton spa gloves and liked wearing them last night. My hands get cold at night, and I am always trying to tuck them under the blankets. :-) I am going to try the thin cotton gloves under my work gloves.

I have amlactin, and aquaphor. Also have a hoof product - Hoof Alive that I forgot about until Florence mentioned it - it works really well on cracks. Will have to try some of the others (also a hand cream collector). Picked up a shea butter and mango cream yesterday, and dreamed of mangos all night. Hey, aromatherapy to go with hand therapy!

It seems like neosporin will be a good thing to do as well, even A & D might help. Most of my fingers either have cracks starting from dry skin or from having to dig out a thorn.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Michelle

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 12:15PM
dove_song(WA State Z6b)

Dear Michelle,

Olive Oil.
Tuck it under your cotton gloves...

All the best, :-D

Debbie/Dove

Bookmark   April 7, 2007 at 5:54PM
janen

Try Aspercreme. Believe me, it works better than ANYTHING I've ever tried - and I've tried 'em all !!!. The minute you rub it in, your hands (and feet) feel instantly better. I use it all the time. You can get it in any drugstore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspercreme

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 6:33PM
sam0738

Burts bees has got a bunch of things for the hands.
They have the shea butter garden hand repair just like a lot of places. I use the Garden Hand salve the defender. And I put a link to my favorite one the Bees wax Almond milk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beeswax hand creme Almond Milk Aloe vitamin E

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 4:21AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

The better the garden looks, the worse I look!

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 3:24PM
gduke2(6B)

The best stuff I have had for cracked, chapped and/or rough hands is lanolin. A friend gave me a 1lb tub of it over 20 years ago and it is still going strong. It stinks. Use latex gloves. Rub into your hands before bed and pull on gloves. Within a day or so of doing this your cracks will be healed and skin smooth.

Bag Balm works pretty well also and is a lot cheaper than the apothecary balms. Does not smell bad. Another product is Udder Cream. These are available at your farm supply or co-op.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 12:49PM
AlbertJohnSmith

This is indeed a helpful thread for all gardeners. Using organic products is the best way to keep your skin fresh and shining.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 6:18AM
Nadin

Toi have no skin problems, I have used pure chimp super body cream which is 100% natural.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 7:55AM
More Discussions
Photos won't post
I was able to post a photo from my computer last week....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Choosing roses
Hi, can I have some help/recommendations please. I'm...
rosefan98765
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
Experience with Drift roses?
I'm looking at planting either Apricot, Peach, or Icy...
onederw
Lilian Austin- Anyone Grow Her?
Does anyone have this rose? I am thinking of ordering...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™