The Easter Bunny is real!

AnneCecilia z5 MIApril 12, 2009

Chatted with our dear granddaughter yesterday by phone all about her exciting visit to see the BIG Easter Bunny at the mall (she's three)....and then this morning as I came into the kitchen in the pre-dawn light and looked out my back window, there was my own personal Easter bunny, LOL - the very first rabbit I have ever seen on our 40 acres in the entire 19 years we have lived here - no kidding! He was calmly nibbling on something in the back lawn, not far away from 2 deer browsing around the gardens. Well, Mr. EB better watch out. With 5 cats (2 of whom are Hunters Superb) and a Giant Schnauzer who loves hunting varmints from little mice right up to big raccoons, he'd better mind where he dines! (Not to mention that I cannot believe the coyotes I hear regularly have let him slip by.)

And no, he didn't leave me any candy or eggs, darn it. ;-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

You don't have rabbits? My goodness. Is it because your animals scare them away, or are you just too cold for rabbits? That is amazing!

They certainly do nibble on anything they can get to, and also build their nests around rose roots.

Sammy

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 9:44PM
AnneCecilia z5 MI

Sammy, the cold is no issue for rabbits; I really attribute the lack of rabbits in our immediate area to the successful pack of coyotes that roam these hills. You hear them almost nightly all year round and rabbits are one of their favorite meals. A few years back when we were in between dogs, they (the coyotes) were getting awfully brave and crossing the open field just beyond our mowed yard in broad daylight - making me fear for our cats. Then I brought home our rescued 90 lb. dog. There's nothing like a large dog to make coyotes keep their distance. (But perhaps now they are a bit too distant!)

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 6:27PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

Rabbits can be very distructive---sure hope your pets can scare them away----

Florence-

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Rose Ripoff only a gardener could appreciate.
So I did a search on Ebay for rose bushes, curious...
kublakan
Speckled canes?
Hi all, I was out looking at all the lovely new growth...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
suggestions from Chamblees
In late April we are going to Tyler, Tx to see the...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Aunt Margy's Rose
This picture was supposed to join the others on my...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
NEVER plant a wisteria and kill it when it starts growing!
Our local electric co-op just came out and took down...
particentral
Sponsored Products
Paula Deen Signature Serveware Southern Rooster 10 in. Stoneware Egg Tray Multic
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Large Vintage Easter Die-Cut Decor Set
$21.99 | zulily
Beaded Easter Egg with Foil-Wrapped Chocolates - RED/GOLD
$30.00 | Horchow
Festive Occasion 9'' Plate Cling Set
$26.99 | zulily
28" Standing Garden Bunny
Grandin Road
Godinger Rabbit Candy Bowl - 9041
$49.09 | Hayneedle
Pink & White Chevron Personalized Easter Bucket