cleaning pond - eliminating parasite eggs?

kashka_kat(z4 WI)April 22, 2014

Im not sure what my fish had - I think both body and gill flukes. Whether or not they had, or have, worms I'm not entirely sure - they are seeming better, the one fish in particular a little less bloaty.

When I clean out my pond, if I let it dry out and bake in the sun for about a week is that going to eliminate all the nasty eggs or should I treat it with something else like PP before I empty the pond? I'm really reluctant to do that because it would kill off the string algae which took me about a year and 1/2 to get established. (I LIKE STRING ALGAE! It uses up the nitrate, my fish eat it and keep it mowed so it looks pretty like green plush.) However, if that's what I have to do to get rid of the nasty buggers then maybe I will.

This is pic from last year - with Redtop leading the way, the one who succumbed to gill flukes a few weeks ago (his gills I saw were pretty much gone). RIP - he was the friendliest fish, always first to spot me and come running for dinner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sharpchick(7b)

By PP, I assume you mean PraziPro.

It had no effect at all on any of my plants, including the algae.

I dose X3 in the spring and once in the fall.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 6:52PM
ademink(z5a-5b Indianapolis)

PP - Potassium permanganate. If you fully nuke the pond then yes...it will clean it out good.

What did you end up doing for the gill flukes? If the gills looked really bad, it may have had bacterial gill disease.

How are your fish now??

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 10:25PM
kashka_kat(z4 WI)

I did a prazi routine 2x, 7 days each. I was going to get them in the pond and then maybe do one more prazi treatment out there but the weather has been so horribly cold and wet I havent gotten them out. I decided I just do NOT want to wreck my algae/bacteria ecosystem by using PP on it.

I fed them food soaked in prazi for7 days because I was paranoid about tape worms - havent seen any white pieces lately so who knows.

The remaining fish look fine, better than they have in years. The ones with white, their white is much whiter - they probably had body flukes as well. They actually started looking better that very same night I started treatment- that was the day I saw them ALL at the surface with their gills flapping - I did a radical water change of about 90% and even then they seemed better, then added the prazi, and the next morning they were swimming around seemingly happy and normal. WHEW....

I am still seeing the occasional long threadlike, wormlike thing (clear) so who knows. Someone may have calmarus (sp????) worms... which requires a different treatment).

What I find kind of frustrating is that with flukes, they take much longer to hatch at cold temps rather than at warm temps. No where could I find any kind of info about how long the intervals might be at different temperatures. IE if my water temps are 50, then what would the hatching interval be? I treated 7 days apart, but it could be that I still missed the next batch of eggs hatching. They might hatch out at 65 and then I'll have a mess all over again.

If anyone's looking for a science project, that would be a good one to do!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 3:35PM

I literally just finished FIVE rounds of prazi 5-7 days apart. Gill flukes are HARD to get rid of!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 8:39PM
kashka_kat(z4 WI)

Ughhhh.... that's what I was afraid of. How do you know if you have gotten rid of them????

I see some fish mouthing again - like they have mouth flukes. Either that or they're begging for food!

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 4:38PM

Scraping and scoping...and even then you can miss them. That's why I decided to mercilessly prazi them to death. lol If I were you...I'd do a few more rounds, 5 days apart.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 9:19PM

What does "mouthing" mean? Yawning type of motion?

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 9:22PM
kashka_kat(z4 WI)

That thing they do, opening and closing mouth repeatedly. May be begging for food though. Those dang fish can sense me coming from a long ways away.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
sara_in_philly
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™