my poor garden

myonlysunshine(z5 ma)August 4, 2007

we had a really bad thunderstorm last nihgt and with it more hail then I've ever seen.My poor garden looks so pitiful!My banana tree looks like a palm tree it's leaves are so shredded,most of my annuals are wilted and I don't know if they're going to recover.My sunflowers are laying on the ground,so I think I'm going to have to rip them out.Everything just looks so bad,I just want to cry.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Nature can be wicked indeed. Every gardener goes through these times either with hail or with harsh winds, locusts, aphids, drought...or other annoyances. And these things do cause pain because we've put time, money and love into our efforts.

I'm really sorry about the damage to your hard work!

In my experience, a run through the gardens pinching and cutting damaged foliage and edging beds neatly makes things look better...if not glorious. But oddly enough, just 3 weeks from now, I think you'll find things beginning to take shape once more.

Best wishes!
'bug

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 8:09PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Oh dear I'm so, so sorry. We had hail like that here the first week of June and I just cried. Like Bug said, prune the damaged things off, stake things that can be rescued and in a couple weeks your gardens will look a whole lot better. (((hugs))) Been there and I feel your pain.
Deanne

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 9:09PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Been there seen that.....don't rip things out....prop them up and wait at least a week.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 10:27PM
More Discussions
daves10
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Lilies are blooming in parks now!
Pictures taking in Southern China.
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™