hostas in pond

brownthumbia(5aIA)April 24, 2013

Can someone give me some advice on the proper way to use hostas in the pond. How deep, medium for pots, etc. thanks in advance, I have so many hostas that need dividing and thought I'd use some in the pond if I can get some advice. BT

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
settiano

I think they like their crowns above the surface. I grew them in bogs and on the shelves of my pond and they did very well. I just planted them in pea gravel and they worked well as filtration. Kept a lot of my algae down too.
Good luck :)

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 12:46PM
chas045(7b)

I have a couple in a stream only partially submerged similar to the way I have some elephant ears in a shallow section of my pond.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 8:09PM
koilady

Hi BT. I've been using garden plants in my ponds for years. There are little containers out now that float on top of the pond like little gardens and a Hosta would work perfectly there. No dirt, just the roots in the water and see how your Hosta will eventually cover the whole container.
In my waterfalls, I have used parrot feather and impatients and they both look great.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:44PM
brownthumbia(5aIA)

Lorraine can you tell me where you found those baskets? Thanks everyone for your help.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 5:53PM
jalal(z3/Canada)

I have contained hostas in a hula hoop ring tied to the edge of the pond because of the skimmer. They do fine. The only thing is to remember to bring them out early enough to plant in the garden in the fall as here they are too expensive a plant to not retain.

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:12AM
koilady

Here in Southwestern Ontario Canada we got to Moore Water Gardens in Port Stanley or the Bloomin Bog in Ilderton for this product. The plant baskets are inside a flat piece of styrofoam that float on the water. Actually, I would get some styrofoam, make a hole large enough in it to put the roots of your Hostas and see how that works. Might save you some money.

Lorraine

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 2:05PM
MaeT(z5 NL, Canada)

I bought two at Vandermeer Nursery and then made two more by cutting a ring out of styrofoam and covering it with black electrical tape. Worked great and lasted longer than the bought ones, actually still using them.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
Pond Heat
What is the best method of heating water to 70 degrees...
wellingtoncdm
A deck window to my pond
Covered a portion of my pond with a deck so I decided...
thepondfather
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™