So very much water.....

anntn6b(z6b TN)April 12, 2008

The quantity of water flowing down the Mississippi and its subsidiary rivers is per second in the attached map.

And it will go out to the Gulf and there's no way to save it for summer when we need it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mighty Mississipp

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelalreadytaken

Ann, have you ever been to the Old River or Morganza control structures when they're open?

It's a paralyzing sight and I don't use the word loosely.

The immense amount of water, the forsaken setting in the middle of nowhere, the turbulence of that dirty water.

I'm sure I stayed hundreds of feet from the edge. At least the memory seems that way or as if it should have been that way.

MichaelAT

Bookmark   April 12, 2008 at 10:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anntn6b(z6b TN)

I've seen aerial photos and when I saw the size of vehicles that were dwarfed by the water.....and then reading about how they almost lost the Old River structure (and knowing how unconsolidated the sediments are downriver from the structure) you could not pay me to get within five miles of that structure.

Did you ever visit the huge lock structure upriver from New Orleans? I cannot remember the name of the town now, but IIRC it was on the south side of the river and was to lower barges about thirty feet. It was a huge pour of cement.

All this messing with soft sediments, with sediments that are actively degassing as the organics in them decay....
I've seen at Atachafalaya (doubtless spelled wrong) in flood and I don't know why the river didn't switch channels in the 1600's. Or 1700's. Or 1800's.

Bookmark   April 12, 2008 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Planting Rose in Square Container
Hi, I am wondering if I would have any problems planting...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™