Can I move a planter that has a birds nest in it???

Carrie_AZ(9/10 AZ)April 15, 2011

There is nothng better then to have birds in one's garden, I love it, because I am a totally organic gardner. My problem is I have a planter by my front door that has pansies in it. I noticed one day while watering a bird was trying to build a nest in this planter, that is hanging on the wall by my front door. I pulled it out (it was empty, the bird was in the process of building it) I thought if I pulled out the nest in process the bird would go somewhere else and do her nest. Let me explain why I pulled it out, while she was in the process of building the nest I attempted to pull it out because I knew being by the front door and in the planter I could not water the plants in the planter and the pansies would die which would make the nest in the wide open. Well that is what exactly what happen, I stopped watering the planter because I did not want to get the nest wet, well the plant's went down and the nest is in the wide open, the pansies were hiding the nest before they died. Now when we go out the door and/or anyone comes to the door the bird takes off. The planter is at shoulder level and I am 5'7 a cat cannot get it but any other predator can (birds etc...). The nest is right out in the open, I feel sorry for her. So I thought I could move the planter higher up, I will not be touching the nest just moving the planter that the nest is in. If I was able to move it up higher, the nest will not be disturbed and will be in a more private place and not in the wide open. The planter will be up higher. My question is, If I move the planter up approximatly 15 inches up will she still go to the nest? Will she abandon it? I am not going to touch the nest, I just want to move the planter that the nest is in up higher, so that the nest is not right there at face level. If I move it up she will have more privacy and will be somewhat hidden. Can I move the whole planter up or will it cause her to leave her babies?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post, I hope someone here can help me with this.

Groroses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I think it would be fine as long as you keep it in the same spot.

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 10:31AM
Carrie_AZ(9/10 AZ)

Thanks sylvia for answering my query. I have moved the planter up about 10 inches. I forgot to explain that the bird is the common sparrow and the eggs have not hatched yet. So I thought I would add that info. Thanks again.
Carrie

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 3:03AM
Truellina(5)

I have the same situation. I have a planter hanging from my porch. The nest is not in the open because when the plant died, I just left in there. I know some birds nests you can move, but what about a doves nest? It still has 2 babies in it and the mother is always close by or sitting in it.

They have gotten so use to us that I can work in the flowerbeds, open and close the front door hundreds of times, my husband can cut the grass, and we can even stand on a chair and look at them and they won't budge. BUT, let one of my neighbors walk by walking their dog and she goes crazy. Oh yeah, she dosen't like it when my husband starts his harley... lol

If I wait until the babies fly away, can I relocate the planter to another location on my porch for her to use the next time? I'd even leave the dead plant in it for protection.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 2:52AM
sylviatexas1

I'd leave it til the babies fly, & then put it wherever I felt like the birds would be safer next time...
but sometimes momma bird just wants a new house next year!

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
Anyone grow Coretta Scott king?
I've always liked the look of this rose, but after...
SoFL Rose z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™