Six Weeks

henryinctApril 27, 2009

That is how long it has been since I have been laid up with a broken leg. You think you can do things but you just can't. Actually I was outside all afternoon but I can't do anything myself because I can't walk. I basically give orders to anyone I can find to do work for me. I accomplish a lot by organizing people and making sure everything that needs to be done gets done right. I would have made a great slave driver.

Tomorrow it will be back to Yale to plot the next stage of my recovery. I believe it will be another operation next Monday followed by a much more comfortable cast than I have now. I have read a lot of what others are going through on the broken leg support group message board and I really don't have it so bad even though my break is very serious. I at least am retired with a support group. Can you imagine being in a career or just having a very active life with lots of responsibilities and breaking your leg and having your entire life come to a screeching halt?

I used to feel invincible but no more. No more foolish risks. Also I have finally learned a bit about how to delegate. It has been said that the best use of your money is using it to buy time for yourself. This I intend to do from now on which means I no longer will do for myself a lot of the things I used to. And I will appreciate a lot more much of what I used to take for granted.

Henry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Too late to wish you the usual "speedy recovery" then, but enjoy the 'slave driver' position while you can! ; ) Hope you will be on your feet again soon.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 1:28PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Best wishes for a complete recovery...how did you break it? Not gardening, I hope.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 1:10AM
henryinct

I was on a ladder only about five feet off the ground cutting off a tree limb with a chainsaw and the limb came down taking out the ladder and me with it. Not the smartest thing I ever did.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
New record!
OK, all you snow freaks, you got your new record here...
seil zone 6b MI
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Roses and their offspring
I would like to learn more about roses that have reputations...
sara_ann-z6bok
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™