Sing a song of sixpence...

AnneCecilia z5 MIMay 30, 2007

So, when is a blackbird not a black bird? How about this grackle that has taken up residence in our yard. Not quite a true albino, he's definitely different. We're hoping that the cats don't get him as he is such an easy mark. In the second photo, you can see that he has a buff colored "hood" and in the last photo you'll have to look closely on the left side of the fountain/birdbath as he is blending in with the recently planted Paloma Blanca right behind him!

Anne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I have been visited by other birds that are similar. Not albino, just tan. Very odd.

I wonder if his peers accepted him?

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 7:52AM
AnneCecilia z5 MI

I don't know about its peers accepting it, Harry. That thought had occurred to me as well...but my son saw it with some hay in its beak, presumably to build a nest? OTOH I have not actually seen it in the company of *any* other bird - and I see it many times a day now. It is always solitary.

AC

Bookmark   May 30, 2007 at 10:33PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

That is so cool! Thanks for the pics! I am fascinated by albinism. I wonder if birds have weakness linked to it like deaf/blind dogs and cats do with full albinism? Does he seem to have full senses?

Have y'all heard of albino alligators? My friend who grew up on the bayou swears he knows where a very big one lives, even though scientists say that they are too targeted to grow into maturity.

My parents lived at Senecca Army Depot where they have the white deer. I've always heard stories of how beautiful those are.

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 5:31PM
kittymoonbeam

I want to see a white deer!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 10:12PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

There are great pics online. When my parents lived there, there were only a dozen to twenty white deer, they said. They had the regular deer, too, but you could only hunt those and not the white ones.

[No, the nukes didn't cause the color, lol. Seneca was a secret depot for a great number of the country's warheads back in the 60's. The link below shows all the igloos for warhead storage as well as today's deer. Mom didn't know where she was living for the longest time! Such a beautiful area though... the fingerlakes were spectacular for wildlife]

Here is a link that might be useful: Seneca White Deer

Bookmark   May 31, 2007 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Do growing conditions affect fragrance *types* in your experience
... I mean like making a clove-smelling rose smell...
laura242424
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
Pruning Rosa moschata
I have Rosa moschata autumnalis 'Princesse de Nassau...
nada1712
New DA plants arrived!!
I got home from work yesterday and there was a big...
bethnorcal9
Lilian Austin- Anyone Grow Her?
Does anyone have this rose? I am thinking of ordering...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™